SATA locking combo cable?

markguy

Anyone know of a good combo SATA cable that has a locking latch? I'm partial to the combo cables, mostly so I don't forget to order something. I hate to say price is no object, but at this point in the Great unRAID Meltdown of 2010, I'd like to make sure as few things can go wrong as possible.

Alternatively, I'd like to hear reasons for using separate cables (and recommendations for same).

The one I use is this one. Mostly, it's so I don't forget to order one or the other, but they do seem to prevent connection issues better. I've got exactly no empirical evidence to back that up, of course.

I'd still like to be able to latch them, particularly on the motherboard SATA connection. I have yet to find any, though.

theyre only useful if theyre soldered directly to your psu, which they arent, so they arent. the extra connection made increases resistance and when yore talking 10+ hdds this can be havoc on stable power. not to mention its just another point of failuredogeyness.

I don't understand what you're saying here... there are no extra connections, just the drive and the power dongles. The ends that connect to the HDD are just stuck together.

Ah, I see. I'll accept that the extra connection has the potential for causing grief, but if your PSU doesn't have direct SATA power connects, you're going to have this regardless of what you do. The combo cable doesn't add any *extra* potential.

Regardless, I'll take away the message "dedicated SATA power cables are ideal" from this.