Solus Budgie VM issue, unable to pass login screen

darianf

hi,

i'm trying to install Solus 1.2.1, iso from 2017.01.01 (Budgie). i chose linux template.

live session is fine, installation is a breeze.

but then i restart, post installation, i provide login details (user/pass), i login, then it appears it's loading, but screen resets (literally, there is a black screen for a brief moment) and i'm again back to login form which asks for user & pass.

tried several times, but to no avail...

i'm passing through a 1060 GPU, as second GPU.

Anybody experienced such issue?

It could be solus/wayland related, or budgie, or...?

Other linux distro's (ubuntu, mint, fedora) are fine... it's true, none of them i tried with budgie, this is the first one...

thanks,

-d

PS: i was just able to press a dialog button (software updates) before resetting the screen and i could select the updates options. I updated some packages, after that it remains at the budgie desktop, but no menu or button available.

ps2: i tried solus mate and while it passes the point of login & i can install the driver for nvidia, restart the VM with the native resolution... after that, there is no menu displayed, just the desktop icons.

No option to launch the menu. The VM loads, but i'm stuck because i cannot use the desktop environment.

• 2 weeks later...

i figured out some things by now:

1) i gave up on solus-budgie (removed vm from disk) only to find out later that this issue could be caused by multiple cpu allocation.

somebody faced similar issue, see the video and last post in this thread here:

https://solus-project.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2784&p=13737&hilit=login+fails#p13737

i cannot validate if this solves the issue since i dont have the VM anymore; will try to reinstall later when i have the time.

2) although i reported in my previous post that solus-mate is also problematic, i found out today that it's working, when i tried again... maybe a restart of entire unraid solved it, not sure...

hope this helps somebody with similar issues...

-d

coming back to the solus budgie issue.

so i installed budgie by allocating cpu0 only.

did the installation of the OS, upgraded all the available packages then installed nvidia drivers.

shut down the machine, allocated 4 cpus (HT pairs 2:2) and restarted.

i could login without issue.

Archived