Time for an upgrade

bdee1

1 minute ago, bdee1 said:

I believe my motherboard will only take up to 4gb of ram so I was hoping to update the motherboard too and get a decent amount of ram along with the CPU upgrade.

None of the dockers you want to use will greatly benefit from more ram. Plex is the most demanding, and it wants CPU and more CPU. Your choice, but you can get a 4,200 passmark Core2Quad Q9650 for under $75.

tDallen is using one even, and his server uses seem to match yours closely.

Hmm that's interesting.  Would love to get off that cheaply.  I currently have 2gb of ram and my server keeps crashing because of out of memory issues.

my thought was that I would like to get up to at least 8 gb, as it seem like I could get by with 4gb but would like like to have a little bit of future proofing....

8 minutes ago, bdee1 said:

Hmm that's interesting.  Would love to get off that cheaply.  I currently have 2gb of ram and my server keeps crashing because of out of memory issues.

my thought was that I would like to get up to at least 8 gb, as it seem like I could get by with 4gb but would like like to have a little bit of future proofing....

You have a few options available to you.

RAM:

1. Upgrade to 4GB. Do you currently have 1x2GB or 2x1GB of RAM? Getting a used 2GB stick is quite inexpensive. Heck, I've got one lying here ;) 

2. Install a swapfile plugin to use the cache disk as a swap file location. Might let you get away with 2GB.... i've not tried this myself.

CPU:

1. Upgrade to a higher end LGA775 CPU.

2. Upgrade to a new setup.

I'd bet you can get a Q9650 and 2GB more ram for under $100.

Mr-hexen thanks for taking the time to look for those.  That may end up being the Amy I go...

fireball3, I a definitely intrigued by that option as well... any recommendations for motherboard and ram t go with that?  Want to make sure I understand all my options. Before pulling the trigger.

23 minutes ago, bdee1 said:

any recommendations for motherboard and ram t go with that?  Want to make sure I understand all my options. Before pulling the trigger.

Well, any socket 1151 should do the job.

When going with the older series 100 chipset board you have to check if the BIOS is up to date and supports the CPU.

Boards with the newer 200 series chipset should be all good, but probably a bit more expensive.

The price of the board is highly dependent on your requirements - in unRAID terms: PCIe slots.

There are Z170 boards that run on DDR3. If you have DDR3 to repurpose.

The 200 series runs DDR4. Not sure if there are DDR3 builds.

I would not be repurposing any of my existing ddr since I only have two 1gb sticks.

i am not as good as I used to be with hardware stuff and I want to make sure that whatever I get would be compatible with unsaid.  Would you mind suggesting a specific motherboard/CPU/ram combo for me?  Like brand, model etc....

i really appreciate you guys taking the time t assist here!

Would you give us some more info on what you need?

How many drives to connect? Now? In future?

Expansion cards?

I have difficulties finding things in the US as I'm not familiar where

to look for hardware. Prices are also very different.

Maybe somebody in the US can help.

An example for a budget board is the GA-B150M-D3H.

The latest BIOS is supporting the Pentium series. Price in Germany ~55€

Newegg calls 133 USD - not really budget...

There is a "compatible hardware" section in the wiki, but unfortunately the feedback is rather scarce.

That would have been a good source otherwise.

Sure, I'd be happy to supply an info you need.   To answer your questions:

i currently have 12 drives plus parity

my case has 15 drive bays in it.  I can't imagine I would ever want to use more drives than that.

I don't know for sure how may controller cards are in there until I get home and can peek in the case.

Archived