Accessing 6.0 disks outside unraid (due to server dieing)

Fodder

Hi Everyone,

I know this has been covered to some extent, but what is happening is a bit odd.

Ok, the server its self was hit by a tree, yes hit by a tree. (a tree fell on the house dead under the cupboard that holds the unraid)

very serious damage, parity drive lost (it was on the top) next drive down the connector is pretty mangled so it might be a loss also, but might not.

Motherboard is dead and generally everything is a bad way...... (yes insurance is going to cover it, eventually.....)

machine specs

Unraid 6.0 (upgraded from 4-5-6, so still running ReiserFS)

So background done, i brought a couple of 4TB drives, USB3 2bay drive holder thing to store and transfer the data off the damaged drives and here is my problem.

when i access the drives (not the suspect ones) i am using a Ubuntu live CD (also tried disk internals prog for windows, but it did not even want to open the disks) and the USB3 HDD thing, but the directories in the disk are saying that i do not have sufficient privilege to access the file inside. I did not think that the access permissions were still in effect, i thought unraid controlled that.

So how do i access these files?

Fod

You said you tried the ...

24 minutes ago, Fodder said:

disk internals prog for windows

... I presume you're referring to the free (and excellent) Linux Reader -- https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

I've never seen this fail to read a Reiser disk -- have you tried connecting these directly to a SATA port?

One other alternative is to simply connect the drives to any available system and boot to UnRAID -- then assign the drives you need to access as data drives with no parity drive assigned.    You should then be able to access the content via your network.    You can even use a system that's normally used for something else (e.g. a Windows box) ... just be CERTAIN you don't assign any of the drives in that system to your UnRAID boot.

• Upvote 1

Hi Garycase

On 26/02/2017 at 4:36 PM, garycase said:

You said you tried the ...

... I presume you're referring to the free (and excellent) Linux Reader -- https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

I've never seen this fail to read a Reiser disk -- have you tried connecting these directly to a SATA port?

One other alternative is to simply connect the drives to any available system and boot to UnRAID -- then assign the drives you need to access as data drives with no parity drive assigned.    You should then be able to access the content via your network.    You can even use a system that's normally used for something else (e.g. a Windows box) ... just be CERTAIN you don't assign any of the drives in that system to your UnRAID boot.

yes that is the program.

I thought the program was a bit odd, of the directories it could read, it seemed to copy all the files. but when i checked on them they all had a 0k value.

The only reason i new about the directories being protected was because of using Ubuntu, so not really sure of what is going on.

On 26/02/2017 at 4:36 PM, garycase said:

One other alternative is to simply connect the drives to any available system and boot to UnRAID -- then assign the drives you need to access as data drives with no parity drive assigned.

hmmm.

i have another box i could use...... I didnt know that i could do that, i thought i would have have all the drives.

But now thinking about it i could use the OLD USB and a new config? 

a new config wont wipe the data on the disks?

Fod.

1 hour ago, Fodder said:

a new config wont wipe the data on the disks?

No, it doesn't do anything to the data on the disks => except for the parity disk (if you assign one -- and for what you need to do here you can avoid the possibility of inadvertently assigning a data disk as parity by simply not assigning a parity disk).