Performance vs Flexibility / SSD pass-through vs images@UD?

Hey guys,

my four VMs (GamingPC, HTPC/Office, Office #2, Office #3) suffer from high IO-Load on my cache (and even array?!) so I want to move them to their own SSD(s) – but im uncertain which way to go.

Performance needs of the VMs are as follows:

- GamingVM (≥70G): highest performance needed all the time, no matter what happens on other parts of the system.

- HTPC/Office (50G): Movies should run smoothly, but some stuttering is okay.

- Office #2 & Office #3 (50G each): performance not really important – but they are accessed from remote via RDP which should work at all times (no problem i think)

Possible solutions:

1. (least expensive / most flexible / what about performance?) get one 250G SSD, mount via UD plugin and put all my VM disks there

2. (highest performance / okay-ish flexibility) get one 120G SSD and pass it through to my GamingVM. put everything else on a second 120G SSD.

3. (most expensive / least flexible) get one big physical SSD for each VM and pass-through. (nope)

4. anything else?

Now I'm asking for opinions: Which way would you go? What do you think how much more performance will #2 compared to #1?

Thanks a lot!

me.so.bad

Edited by me.so.bad

all depends on io requirements of each vm, the ssd interface speed, and make/model of the ssd. They all share the same connection. At best they access the disk at different times and you notice almost no difference. At worst, they all access the disk at the same time, giving you something closer to spinning disk speed, or worse.