W10 VM RDP and TeamViewer Video resolution limited 800x600

I created a VM with no pass through only using VT-x on my Xeon-2670 on unRaid 6.3.3 and was surprised that Teamviewer behaves differently than MS Remote Desktop (RDP) for the video resolution.

Teamviewer only will display the Win10 vm at 800x600 resolution, just like ultraVNC will.  No additional resolutions are available to Teamviewer. 

MS RDP from a Win10 Home laptop with 1080p screen suddenly shows the Win10 VM at full 1920x1080.  If the MS RDP session remains open and a TeamViewer session is initiated into the same VM, suddenly the Teamviewer can also display the Win10 VM at 1080p just like the MS RDP.  Is this expected behavior?  Is there any way for the Win10 VM to default to a higher resolution with Teamviewer? 

The same behavior is exhibited by Win10 1607 Anniv Update and Win10 1703 Creators Update.  Win10 VM  is not activated if that matters...

Edited by tr0910

If MS Win RDP is active on the VM and Teamviewer is also active, both virtual desktops are at 1080p (1920x1080).  Closing the RDP session immediately results in the Teamviewer session being kicked back to 800x600 resolution. 

If there is a Win RDP session active, starting an ultraVNC connection kills the RDP and drops the resolution to 800x600.  Restarting the RDP session then kills the ultraVNC connection and pops the resolution back to 1080p.

I will try and jump to Teamviewer 12 instead of 11 which I am presently running.  However, it seems Win10 is causing the issue issue.

Edited by tr0910

When you use RDP, it starts a different session in windows than the one that is logged in previously. It's not a screen sharing software like team viewer, or at least behaves differently for me than splashtop/teamvier/vnc.

You might need to try going into the bios of the vm and changing the resolution there if no other resolutions are available in windows. If there is no GPU hooked up to the vm, then it is probably going off the base resolution set there.

Bios resolution changing didn't help, but I then went and recreated some more VM's with Seabios and Q35 2.7 instead of OVMF and i440FX.  I also tried different video drivers in the GUI setup but QXL ended up working best.  Now I have all video resolutions available to me up to 2500 x 1600.

Lesson, for TeamViewer or VNC remote access use Seabios Q35  instead of the defaults.

• 7 months later...