Win RDP sluggish in one specific case.

I have one W10 laptop which I use for RDP into several unRaid W10 VM's and the response to the keyboard and mouse gets to be unusable.  It can take 30 seconds for the VM to respond to a page down command in a browser.  I have a twin of this W10 laptop that I also used RDP to come into the same unRaid W10 VM's and they work like normal with page downs in the same browser window happening within 1/2 second.  So the issue is not unRaid or the VM, but the laptop that I am coming in with.  Rebooting the laptop doesn't seem to help.

Is it a known issue for the W10 RDP client to get gummed up like this?  Is there a way to get the performance back to normal?

One thing I can say for sure, is this seems to get worse as time progresses.  After several hours with a Win VM in an RDP window, it gets noticably bad.  After 24 hours with a VM active, it is almost unusable.  Completely restarting all the RDP client sessions seems to help a little.

Anybody else noticing RDP response deteriorating over time?

You may want to try:

1.  Different RDP client on the affected laptop.   You could try with "Remote Desktop Connection Manager" or "MobaXTerm"

2.  Check the Connection Experience under Advanced Settings.  Hard set it to your connection speed and see if there is any difference.

3.  Verify that the laptop can resolve the hostname of the UNRAID server and VM correclty and not take a lot of time.  Could be a strange DNS issue.

4.  This one is a stretch but you could run an elevated CMD prompt and turn off TCP AutoTuning  ( netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled)

Thanks @SFyffe

Remote Desktop Connection Manager from MS ver 2.7 from 2014?  MobaXterm looks like a much more complex solution than simply RDP.

I did some more testing with the Win10 client first.  To test I started to use the other unaffected laptop extensively with Win RDP and the same problems appeared.  After about an hour of use the response was getting noticeably sluggish.  This is with Chrome browsing, or even clicking the Win button bottom left, would result in 5 second delay to respond. 

So it appears I was wrong to declare this to be limited to one laptop.  It is more widespread.  I am using 1080p full screen most of the time.  Both of these laptops are equipped with older i5 3337U processors and 8gb ram with Intel video.  It doesn't seem to matter whether I am connecting via ip address or via machine name.  It also doesn't seem to matter if the VM is on the local lan or connected via VPN half way around the world.

I will try your suggestions next...

Once you are in this condition you may want to test and see how long your ping responses are both on the machine you are RDP'ing in with and another machine on the subnet.   This may let you know if the remote machine is responding network-wise.  

If you end the RDP session and reconnect is the problem remedied at least for some time?.    Some times these problems are difficult to fix unless you uses something like WireShark to see how things are behaving. 

1 minute ago, SFyffe said:

If you end the RDP session and reconnect is the problem remedied at least for some time?.   

Yes, a simple disconnect and reconnect fixes things about 50% of the time, but not always.

It sounds like you have experience with RDP gumming up and going flaky??

36 minutes ago, SFyffe said:

I have in the past but once it is working then it is quite solid.   I have hundreds of machines I maintain and RDP is the only access to them.

I guess maybe that I need to check out the local lan.  Right now there are only about a dozen connections to this Netgear 6300v2 router with DD-WRT running Kongac V3-28600M.

But I am in China, right now and who knows what could be crashing my lan trying to get in.  I'm no net guru so appreciate the pointers.  Wireshark coming down slowly over my VPN to USA. 

Edited by tr0910