VM Core Assignments

I have an i7 4790K CPU....so 4 cores plus the associated hyperthreads.  My kids have just discovered Person Unknown Battleground in Steam and have asked me to spin up two gaming VMs so they can play together.  Running one VM is no problem...but when I run two gaming VMs the game stutters and becomes unplayable.  I am passing a Nvidia GTX970 to one VM and a GTX950 to the second VM.   Both vms run fine by themselves.  Wondering if anyone has suggestions on the best CPU assignment strategy for making this work...or is this CPU just not have enough horsepower to run two gaming VMs???  I have also tried stopping all my dockers to make sure they are not using resources when they are gaming.  

Currently have cores 1,2,3,5,6,7 isolated, my vm xml has emulator pin for cores 0,4.  I have tried assigning 1,2,3,5,6,7 to both vms and have also tried assigning 4 cores to each so they both had at least one core of their own.  I have never assigned cores 0 and 4 to anything....should I try that or just leave this core to unraid?

I have been reading the $90 xeon 2670 thread and wondering if I need to go in that direction, but would prefer not to at this point since we need to get a new car.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

what are the minimum operating specs for this game?  if it will run on a core 2 duo, then you'll be set, also, how much ram does it require?.  I'm talking Minimum specs now.

My thinking would be to put each VM on its own Core/thread pair, assign it ram amount minus a chunk to run the unraid.

Another thought would be to put each VM on its own SSD except for the common steam library, again, tied to unshared cpu cores and equal to about one third of the ram in the machine.  Now, with the equiv. of a core2duo with 1/3rd of the machines ram and the lower gpu, and run a passmark, see if this setup gives you enough total needed processor(s) (CPU+GPU+RAM) to run the game at the specs you want to play it at according to steam.  

First:

Build 2 seperate VMs, Gamer 1, Gamer 2:  Assigning each a cpu1 core-thread pair, gpu1, key1, mouse1, ram1, etc. 

Try adjusting the game requirements down, try 640x480 for each; This might help with the in-game play.......

Those are my 3 cents worth on it.

@TinkerToyTech

I have 32 gb ram total.  I assigned 8gb ram to each vm.  I am running the game at 1024x720 and will try your suggestions of lowering it even furtherand running passmark.

Here are the min requirements:

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Minimum PC Requirements

Bluehole lists the minimum requirements you'll need to play PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.

• CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 or AMD FX-6300
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB or AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
  • Memory: 6 GB
  • Storage: 30 GB
  • DirectX: 11.1 compatible video card or equivalent
  • Checking Your PC's Hardware