Finally Upgraded, but not enough. Video Card questions with Ryzen

allroy1975

So here's my situation.  I've wanted to upgrade and kind of overhaul my Unraid box for a couple years now...but life keeps screwing me over and money's been tight.  So my wife sees me wanting this and I'd been talking about it and she says "what would you need?" and I just blurted out a motherboard, memory and CPU.  A few days later, her mom has bought me a new Asus X370-Pro mobo, and a Ryzen 1700 CPU.  I had to go pick up some RAM, but..got 2 8gb sticks to start out with at a decent price.  I pulled the "good" video card out of my old gaming PC as I wanted to replace it with the unraid box and do a gaming VM.  The "good" video card is a Geforce 9800 GTX+. which Wikipedia says is 9 years old. And doesn't seem to be enough to play Doom 2016, which I snagged on sale from Steam for 15 bucks a few weeks ago!  it starts and then crashes with a “FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed”, which bethesda addresses: http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/33141/~/what-do-i-do-if-get-an-error-stating-“fatal-error%3A-wglcreatecontextattribsarb 
I don't even get the options it suggests me making changes to.

So I got that video card to pass through to a Win10 Gaming VM..but it's been REALLY shakey.  I've had to modify my syslinux.cfg and enable PCIe ACS Override to get it done, mostly I think because of how Ryzen/AMD is handling IOMMU groupings....and it seems like this video card doesn't want to reset.  So I've had instances where I reset the Windows VM and all of unraid reboots (not good at all) and after I powered off the VM yesterday (didn't cause a reboot of the whole box, hooray!) but the VM wouldn't power back on, throwing an "internal error: Unknown PCI header type '127'" error.  if I edit the VM and use vnc it boots right up.  So, I power cycled the unraid box, and got that VM to boot again.  So it's like a 1 time use, then I have to reboot the VM because (i think) the video card isn't resetting.

guess it's the same issue lotte is having here: 

so....I *think* i need a new video card...and I know Nvidia cards seem to be tricky with passthrough to VMs.  Would I be better off Getting an AMD?  is there any potential increase in compatibility with an AMD Proc & Video card?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ive read, so this all from what someone else has said, and I was just looking at pci passthrough a few days ago. but don't go amd, (im not saying in general, but for the purpose to pass through to a vm.) Anything from the gtx 600 series or newer shouldn't give you much trouble. 

kudos on the new system though, sounds like you have a nice family. Good luck.