Looking for power supply recommendation / info for first Unraid box

Printingdude

I'm assembling components for my first Unraid box. 

So far, I've assembed:

Biostar A760G M2+ motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU & Thermalright heatsink

RAM, 2GB

CoolerMaster Centurion 590 case

Perhaps a half-dozen hard drives between 300GB and 2TB.

I'm a big fan of Corsair power supplies.  I'm also want to keep the system as quiet as possible.

The Corsair HX supplies advertise triple +12v rails.  Is that good or bad or indifferent for Unraid? 

Is there a particular Corsair model that would be most suitable?

If Corsair PSU's are bad for unraid is there some other suitable and quiet supply that would be better?

Trying to keep costs as reasonable as possible.

Multiple 12+ volt rails are bad for unRAID (and for computers in general).  You want to find a PSU with a single 12+ V rail.  Corsair is a good brand, there's nothing wrong with sticking with them.  Just look for a different PSU.

The particular model you get will depend upon the number of drives you want to be able to have in the future, but in general I would recommend the Corsair 450 W.  In theory that PSU will support up to 20 drives, but I'm not sure I've actually seen it in practice.  Still, it is a solid PSU, I've used it in my unRAID server in the past, and I'm currently using it in my desktop.

Other good PSU brands are Antec Earthwatts and Seasonic (which is basically the same internals as Corsair).

Also, why the dual core CPU?  If you already have it laying around, then sure, use it.  But if you are buying it specifically for unRAID, then I recommend something cheaper and slower, like the AMD Sempron 140.  Unless you plan on running a bunch of add-ons like video encoding or VMs, the Sempron 140 is more than enough for unRAID, and it is nicely low power as well.

Nice choice of mobo, I'm running the same one (see my sig).

The case can house between 9 and 15 drives, a good 500W PSU should be adequate depending on temps and the drives used.

Ignore the split rail BS. Virtually all split rail designs are single rail designs just with more safety features. Sometimes safety features can get in the way when someone does something dumb. Then rather than blame themselves for being dumb they blame the peice of equipment they abused.

The Intel ATX spec limits each rail to 18a or so per rail. Extended/Modified ATX, EPS12V and a plethora of others just makes it more confusing.

The bottom line is they are all pretty much single rail psu designs because it is cheaper. Split rail designs simply limit each rail from pulling more than 15-20a per rail (8-10 HDDs).

As long as you split the load across the "rails" you'll be ace. You can do a lot worse than a HX or indeed a VX model from Corsair. Check with the forums as some Corsair models arent endowed with very long cables. Check with some Centurion case owners to see what they are using.  

Dont argue with me, argue with the JonnyGURU:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548862 

Multiple 12+ volt rails are bad for unRAID (and for computers in general).  You want to find a PSU with a single 12+ V rail.

That's what I thought I'd read, yet I also remembered reading recommendations of a Corsair, but couldn't recall which one.  The 450 you recommend is what I was remembering, that's the one I'll get.  Thanks!

why the dual core CPU?  If you already have it laying around, then sure, use it.

Indeed, I had it laying around after upgrading an HTPC to a 5600+.  If I had to buy a CPU for the Unraid build, I'd go with the Sempron.  The 3800+ is a Brisbane 65 watt, only 20 watts more than the Sempron, so it's still relatively low power.

Nice choice of mobo, I'm running the same one (see my sig).
I actually got the open box deal at NewEgg after you posted it in the Good Deals!

Thanks for the tips, I'll order the Corsair 450.  I ordered the CoolerMaster 590 after our PMs about that.  I found the best price at Amazon, free shipping, no tax.

Thanks again!

the Corsair HX series are single rail.

the 620W for example you can pull 25A+20A form the two rails, and still be within the PSUs working range.

Silverstone are the only PSU manufacturer that ive seen that actually cuts off their shunts at exactly 18A, or wharever is listed on the sticker. Pretty much anyone else, like Corsair will let the PSUs just run as much as they can until general circuit protection cuts in.

Good stuff Printingdude, glad someone here snagged that open box deal.  I was tempted to get it myself, but I just couldn't justify it seeing as how I already had one.  Enjoy your new server, and post some pics when it is done!

The open box board that I got was 100% complete with cables and everything, so I'm very happy about that, too.  I ordered the Corsair 450VX, also from Amazon after finding the best price there with no tax and free shipping.  All I'm waiting on now is for the case and PSU to arrive and I can put it together.  I'll definitely post pics when I have it up and running.

Thanks again for the advice, I really wanted to stick with recommended components to have as trouble-free a build as possible.  Looks like I'm on my way!

Archived