low power atom motherboard

RTOuk

hi, im currently looking for a mother board to base am unraid system around. i plan on building a system which can scale to 6 drives. ive found a nice case that will do the job and have the drive. just need to find a good motherboard option, i dont plan on doing anything other than serving files / streaming video with it. i dont need a bit torrent server or anything else like that, so an atom will do the job.

ive been looking at two options right now which are

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=47#jnc92

with the added daughterboard this motherboard would have 6 sata so would do the job in that respect. the cpu is only a single core atom230  has anyone had any success with one of these?

another option is this one

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=53#ION-ITX-G

it has 4 sata and a pci-e which i could use to expand with.

another thing is, i really do want to be able to put the unraid machine into s3 sleep. these boards arnt on the hardware list and i cant find any posts about them. (unless ive missed them)

any input or other suggestions would be great id rather go with a tested board than on that im not sure about.

oh and it needs to be a itx formfactor for the case i plan on using

thanks

I believe the jetway daughterboard uses a marvell chip (88SE6145) that may not work. You could use the PCI slot and a TX4 or similar.

Several people have used ITX boards, Atom boards and Jetway boards with reasonable success. The Asus H55 board works. The Zotac h55 has 6 sata ports and a PCIe x16 slot. The SM atom boards have proved popular too, although a lot pricier.

I assume your case choice means it has to be an ITX board?

• 2 weeks later...

it would be so nice if one of these motherboard manufacturers saw the increase in high number drive systems that are just running low end stuff and put together a small microatx board with very little features other than an absolute farm of SATA connections.

the new ion boards are great minimal systems for HTPCs (like XBMC), but the large number drive systems still rely on multiple add on cards.

Archived