Parity Drive Recommendation

goinsnoopin

Its been a while since I have had to purchase a new drive and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good parity drive.  I currently have a 1 TB WD Black Caviar Drive set as my parity. 

Back when I purchased this drive - people were recommending this drive over seagate which was having the firmware issues at the time and the WD Green drives as they were 5400 rpm.

At this point I think it makes sense to purchase a 1.5TB or even a 2TB drive for parity and then migrate my existing parity into the rotation after rebuilding and checking parity.  In looking online it doesn't look like WD makes a black caviar 1.5TB and the 2TB verision is very expensive.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

The WD Green drives will work just fine for you.  If you have all 7200 RPM drives in your machine then you may want to go with another 7200RPM drive.  I have the 2TB Hitachi's in my system and then have been working fine for me.

If you do end up going with the WD Green and it is an EARS drive make sure to install the jumper on pin 7&8 before putting it into the computer.

Archived