Migration and Upgrade Wisdom

storagehound

*If there is a better place for me to post this please feel free to let me know.*  ;D

Hello Everyone,

I am an UnRaid newbie.  I bought the suggested Budget Build (thanks, Raj).  I am trying UnRaid 4.5.4 with the evaluation copy running 3 2TB Western Digital Green drives (with jumpers on).  I created 3 shares.  VIDEO.  AUDIO and BACKUP.  Backup will contain data from my PC and default images.  If I've read the forum and FAQ correctly I wan the shares set at Level 1.

I want to start populating the UnRaid with data I have on USB Hard drives.  There is no backup of this data and I figure it is a good way to start.  Here are my questions:

Is there a way to do this by connecting the USB Drives directly to the UnRaid?

If possible, is there a disadvantage to doing this over USB as opposed to the network?

Once I am done with the USB Drives I would like to move on to my ReadyNas and Buffalo Terrastations.  Can I do the copying from those NAS systems via the UnRaid console?  Essentially I am trying to take my PC out of the equation since this data copy will likely take some time.

One last thing.  Any advice for when I go from the free version of UnRaid to Paid?  If I like this solution I can easily see myself moving in that direction and adding more drive.s

Any advice is appreciated. 

Oh, if this is well documented please tell me how you found it.  I have found a LOT of good stuff but don't recall seeing a process that clearly identifies doing these steps.

Thank You  :)

You are welcome, I'm glad you found the recommended builds section of the wiki helpful.

I believe unMenu will allow you to mount USB externals onto your unRAID server.  You will then need to initiate the transfer by command line on the system console if you don't want to leave your desktop on the whole time.  The advantage is speed, the disadvantage is hassle.

I'm guessing that you will have to use your desktop to transfer data from your ReadyNAS and Buffalo Terrastations.  I don't know of a way to mount them in unRAID.

Again, assuming you want to use the command line, you can do this:

mkdir /mnt/terastation

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/sharename /mnt/terastation -o username=foo,password=bar

Substitute in the IP of your terastation, and the username and password required to mount the windows share. If you don't have username/password set up, you can simply do:

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/sharename /mnt/terastation

Once you have mounted the share, you can copy the data from the old share to the new location on the unRAID server.

I'm newer here, and I tested the above, and it worked for me. If any of the more experienced folks have a reason this is not recommended, please speak up.

Again, assuming you want to use the command line, you can do this:

mkdir /mnt/terastation

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/sharename /mnt/terastation -o username=foo,password=bar

Substitute in the IP of your terastation, and the username and password required to mount the windows share. If you don't have username/password set up, you can simply do:

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/sharename /mnt/terastation

Once you have mounted the share, you can copy the data from the old share to the new location on the unRAID server.

I'm newer here, and I tested the above, and it worked for me. If any of the more experienced folks have a reason this is not recommended, please speak up.

It would work just fine.

You guys have been great.  My system is up and running.  From your posts and and searching the forum I have been able to get my TVIX to communicate with the UnRaid server.  I've also moved a lot of data over.  I didn't see the speeds that I expected but from my searches they are practical speeds on a Gigabit LAN.  I've installed UnMenu which has really gotten me rolling. 

As far as moving my data... I had an idea that I am going to try.  I am going to create an Ubuntu bootable CD.... boot with it... and see if it will give me access to the UnRaid Server's drives as well as any USB Hard Drives I attach to it.  This may be an excellent way to get around all of those other options to copy data onto the server.  I will also get an updated BartPE or UltimateBootCD and do the same.  There is a SystemRescueCD that might do the trick.  At least one of these CDs should also allow me access to my network storage.  I am betting Ubuntu will be the easiest for those of us who are not really looking to learn Unix command line functionality.

I will also be rereating the manuals (official/unofficial) as far s Split Levels.  I had my video folder set to Higher Water, Level 1  and it has loaded my first data drive to a little over 70%.  I had expected it might start putting files on my 2nd drive.  But I bet I have the ration wrong.  Interestiingly enough, after having done most of my video copying I created a folder called "audio" and "backup."  I didn't put any data on them but they were created on the 2nd drive.  Learning learning learning.

Thanks for all the help guys.  :)

If you have installed unMENU, the disk management page will let you mount and share USB drives.  You can then copy from them to the protected drives in the array.

Joe L.

If you look below, you can see an NTFS USB drive that has been mounted and shared by use of the disk management page in unMENU.

rvabkn.jpg

If you have installed unMENU, the disk management page will let you mount and share USB drives.  You can then copy from them to the protected drives in the array.

Joe L.

If you look below, you can see an NTFS USB drive that has been mounted and shared by use of the disk management page in unMENU.

Thanks, Joe L.  Informative as always and it works as advertised.  But I think I wasn't clear that my lazy >bleep< was trying to avoid involving my desktop in the transfer process and I was trying to avoid using Linux console commands.  Ideally I want a bootable CD with graphical interface friendly to Windows users.  So far the Ultimate Boot CD for windows and SystemRescue CD can't see the Sata Reiser drives.  I've checked the Bios to make sure that is not part of the problem.  I am going to try a recent Bartpe configuration from a friend.  If that does not work I guess I will have to learn some Linux console prompt commands or telenet stuf.  

Storagehound.

Windows doesn't natively support ReiserFS, so BartPE or anything Windows-based likely won't work.  Have you tried an ubuntu live cd or other linux solution?  I figure any linux boot cd should work, since ReiserFS is a linux format.  However, then NTFS may not work....

Hi Raj,

The latest version of Ubuntu does not work as far as accessing the resier partition (maybe it is me).  I used Parted Magic http://partedmagic.com/  and can access the Reiser partition.  I can't figure out how to make a network mapping.  I have to play with a it a lot more.  It's the closest to what I am looking for and may be a respectable choice for those of us who want a graphical option.  Check it out.  It's a quick download.

Cheers

Windows doesn't natively support ReiserFS, so BartPE or anything Windows-based likely won't work.  Have you tried an ubuntu live cd or other linux solution?  I figure any linux boot cd should work, since ReiserFS is a linux format.  However, then NTFS may not work....

Archived