OC Crash on Ryzen, Machine doesn't give up

thenonsense

Hi all,

I had a weird experience with my 4GHz OC on Ryzen.  I split my 1700x in half between my two VMs (nothing else running) and I get a full Unraid crash while running the CPU-Z stress test on each VM at the same time (my typical stability test).  Black screens, webui/ssh don't respond, but the fans in the machine chug away as if it's still fully operational.  As far as I can tell, the crash is somewhere in the ~55-60C range on the CPU.  Dropping each VM to 3 cores and leaving the rest for Unraid drops CPU temps significantly (~45C, makes sense) but the crash still happens occasionally. 

The crash is weird to me because I feel that the CPU should not be dying at that temp.  The CPU also shouldn't be persisting with work, if the fan speed afterwards is anything to go by.  I thought instead it was an overheating VRM or even PSU, but I'm unsure how to diagnose.  Does anyone here have any recommendations?

Edit:

I'm looking to hopefully increase the OC since it seems to be the primary bottleneck for 144fps.

unRAID really does not like ryzen bios OC it seems. I tried OCing my 1600x to 3.95 at 1.36 in bios and it crash after 15 minutes almost on schedule. And this is a OC that worked for me in windows for like 6 months. Since i started using zenstates script to OC and i haven't had a crash since. Its really easy to setup, you might want to check it out. Also how are you checking your temps?

Hi David!  Remember this thread?

This build is essentially that one but I figured that thread wasn't for issues.  Zenstates you say?  Someone on the other thread recommended it too.  I looked into it a bit but was wary of a SW overclock.  As for temps I'm using the modprobe force sensors strategy recommended on that thread.  The temps seem reliable given the fan speed and curve from the BIOS.

Archived