Return to Old Parity & Data Drives?

egtrev

Hello,

A few days ago I upgraded both my parity and data drive from 6TB's to 8TB's.

Everything went fine.

Unfortunately today both new drives failed - is it possible to put my 6TB's back in and go back to using them as they were? So I'd only lose any changes since the upgrade?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, that will work.  You’d have to do a New Config and check off trust parity.

But, before you do - I’d recommend posting your Diagnostics so folks can take a look at what is happening.  It seems pretty unlikely that both new drives would fail simultaneously.

6 minutes ago, tdallen said:

But, before you do - I’d recommend posting your Diagnostics so folks can take a look at what is happening.  It seems pretty unlikely that both new drives would fail simultaneously.

This forum shows a very high percent of people who have issues with their disks just after having added/switched disks, which makes it quite obvious that a significant number of these early failures aren't broken disks but issues with cabling etc after having done work on the machines.

8 hours ago, tdallen said:

Yes, that will work.  You’d have to do a New Config and check off trust parity.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

Unfortunately I've tried both drives in 3 different PC's - they make a constant bad 'clicking' noise and I can't even see them in the BIOS on any of the machines.

So I'm pretty sure it's not UNRAID related.

Clicking noise is seldom a good sign, since it often means the drive fails to locate tracks.

But an important thing to consider is that you can get the same result if the drives gets unclean power.

If the drives had clicked directly you connected them the first time, then it would be easy to think about a transport damage. But you have two drives that have worked for a couple of days and then starts to click.

Archived