MacOS Samba: The folder can not be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents

I'm running unRAID 6.4.0, but this also happened on 6.3.5.

I'm on MacOS 10.13.2.

My Samba shares are exported as private where only certain users can read and write to these shares.

I've ran the New Permissions scripts on all of my shares.

When I connect to a an unRAID share over Samba I can connect fine (smb://TOWER/share_name). I can see all my shares and connect to each of them. However, once I'm connected to a share all of the folders within that share have the red permission icon on the folder. If I try to open the folder, I'm presented with the following message:

The folder *folder_name_here* can not be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents

If, within unRAID, I enable the `Enhanced OS X Interoperability` for that share the issue is fixed, but I don't want to enable this on all my shares. The reason being, when this feature is enabled, MacOS writes at non-standard permissions to the shares. Instead of a new folder being 777 permissions like it is when writing from one of my freeBSD machines, the permissions may be 755. For files, they'll end up as 644. That's a  problem with my workflow, because other users on my network then can't rename or delete these files since they don't have permission to do so.

I'd be okay enabling that feature mentioned above if I could force 777 and 666 permissions on my shares, but even though I've played around with `Samba extra configuration` settings, I haven't been able to get the permissions to be forced to certain values.

So the reason for this post... why is it that, when I don't have `Enhanced OS X Interoperability` enabled for a share, my Mac can see the share, but I can not open any folders within said share?

Here's an example of what I see on my Mac for a share that does not have the Enhanced OS X Interoperability feature enabled:

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 1.28.54 PM.png

And here's an example of what I see when I do have that feature enabled:

5a5d1de7afa74_ScreenShot2018-01-15at1_31_11PM.thumb.png.f52296c691fbf045fe9d140c679d1730.png

Both folders, on unRAID, have 777 permissions with nobody:users as the owners.

Edited by guitarlp