Deleted a wrong HDD in Win7

I had two hdd's laying around, the other was parity drive for my unraid and the other was one that I was about to wipe.

So I was talking on the phone and decided I would put the hdd to drive dock. I noticed that it was some 1800 megabytes, but thought it was just the reiserfs doing it, as I was on Win 7.

So I selected "delete volume" and it became unpartitioned space.

Then I was about to start the unraid and noticed something was missing.... nooo... I had deleted the data from my parity.  :-[

Well, then I thought, no problem, it's only one disc so unraid will fix it. But when I turned unraid on, all the drives have green dots, but the array is stopped. And it won't start even manyally.

What should I do?

I had two hdd's laying around, the other was parity drive for my unraid and the other was one that I was about to wipe.

So I was talking on the phone and decided I would put the hdd to drive dock. I noticed that it was some 1800 megabytes, but thought it was just the reiserfs doing it, as I was on Win 7.

So I selected "delete volume" and it became unpartitioned space.

Then I was about to start the unraid and noticed something was missing.... nooo... I had deleted the data from my parity.  :-[

Well, then I thought, no problem, it's only one disc so unraid will fix it. But when I turned unraid on, all the drives have green dots, but the array is stopped. And it won't start even manyally.

What should I do?

Step 1.  Post a system log.

Step 2.  What does it say on the main screen next to where the start button would be?  if anything?

Step 3.  Wait for advice.  You do NOT want to make a mistake.

How did you get the parity drive in another PC?  Tell us more.  It is invalid if removed.    Is it still assigned in the unRAID array?  I'm very confused how you were able to wipe it? 

Normally I'd also ask what version of unRAID are you running, but normally I can determine that once you post a syslog. (instructions in the wiki under troubleshooting)  You basically asked the equivalent of "My car stopped running. "What part number do I need to order as I broke the fan-belt while looking under the hood."  Hint... What car, what engine?

There is no partition on the parity drive to delete... (although to windows, it might think there was anyway) It probably did not do much damage, but you will need to do a full parity check to fix anything it did once you get the server started.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe, sorry for being so hasty.

Now I'm in real trouble.

First I tried to see if the syslog would have been

automatically saved from the previous run (I have only one monitor,

so that saves time). Connected the USB to my main

comp, checked and the syslog was from March.

So i "ejected" the USB put it back to my unraid box, connected

monitor, booted and now the USB doesn't boot. :( There is just a white line

blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.

I have unraid 4.5.3 and the start button was there, but when I pushed that

the discs show unformatted for a while and then return to "array stopped mode".

I was doing a little cleanup to my unraid box and had one drive that had

no place inside. So I thought I would connect it at a later. I also had another hdd

that I had replaced (1.5T -> 2.0T). But I took the 2T one and put it in an external hdd dock,

and then I went to disk management and from there I showed and there was no other option to

get it show in windows (for witch I have a hdd wiping program for disks going for sale).

So I thought I would delete the partition and format it and then I could use this program

for it.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Joe, sorry for being so hasty.

Now I'm in real trouble.

First I tried to see if the syslog would have been

automatically saved from the previous run (I have only one monitor,

so that saves time). Connected the USB to my main

comp, checked and the syslog was from March.

No syslog is automatically saved by ANY "run"

So i "ejected" the USB put it back to my unraid box, connected

monitor, booted and now the USB doesn't boot. :( There is just a white line

blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.

Your BIOS may have reset the boot order... or you deleted the files from your flash drive.  Or corrupted it... run scandisk on it on your window's PC to be sure it is OK, then make it the boot device.

I have unraid 4.5.3 and the start button was there, but when I pushed that

the discs show unformatted for a while and then return to "array stopped mode".

unRAID 4.5.3 has a MAJOR bug in which drives will ALL show as unformatted when first starting the array.  As long as you do not press the "Format" button, you are OK, but if you do, you basically asked the system to format ALL your disks.  Let's hope you did not press the "Format" button.

I was doing a little cleanup to my unraid box and had one drive that had

no place inside. So I thought I would connect it at a later. I also had another hdd

that I had replaced (1.5T -> 2.0T). But I took the 2T one and put it in an external hdd dock,

and then I went to disk management and from there I showed and there was no other option to

get it show in windows (for witch I have a hdd wiping program for disks going for sale).

So I thought I would delete the partition and format it and then I could use this program

for it.

Thanks in advance!

If you are changing the disks configuration in unRAID, and changing disks, you MUST do it one disk at a time.

So, first get back to where you can boot, then post a syslog, then we'll deal with rebuilding parity.

for your situation, as long as the parity drive is correctly assigned on the devices page, and ALL the data disks are assigned to their respective slots, you can press the button labeled as "restore", which is actually an

"Initialize Configuration and Immediately Invalidate Parity"

button.  It will initialize the disk configuration to include the currently assigned and working disks.  When you then press "Start" it will do a full initial parity calculation.

I think this is bios related.

When booting I get:

"Warning :Have option ROM can not be invoke (Vendor ID:105Ah, Deivce ID :3515h)"

Well at least I did not format anything.

Does anyone know where could one get info on what those vender/device codes mean?

It indicates you are not booting the flash drive.  Something else may now be first in the boot order, or somehow your flash drive is no longer bootable, but I've never seen that message from any flash drive.  It looks more like the message from a RAID card.

Should I press restore, even though all the drives are green?

Why don't you press "Start" ?    You should be able to if all the disks are showing "green"

You can press "the button labeled as"restore" only if all the disks in the array are working and you do not expect to need to re-construct any of them from parity, since parity will immediately be invalidated when you press the button.  When you subsequently press "Start", after using the "restore" button to "Initialize the Disk Configuration" the array will begin a full parity calculation.

You might be on a buggy version of unRAID if it does not let you start.  Please upgrade to 4.5.6.  On it the "restore" button has been removed and replaced with an "initconfig" command invoked on the system console.  (functionally equivalent, but better named, and less likely to be pressed accidentally)

Joe L.

The start button does not start the array, it shows the disks as unformatted for couple of seconds and returns to "array stopped".

I have had this version of unraid from the day it was released. Never any problems.

I don't know what unraid checks on startup, that shows that everything is valid? Maybe that place has the correct information although

the disk has been cleared?

I think the parity drive should now show with a blue dot, as it is "unformatted"?

The start button does not start the array, it shows the disks as unformatted for couple of seconds and returns to "array stopped".

Then post a syslog.  something else is going on, and a mistake might be avoided.

I have had this version of unraid from the day it was released. Never any problems.

I don't know what unraid checks on startup, that shows that everything is valid? Maybe that place has the correct information although

the disk has been cleared?

I think the parity drive should now show with a blue dot, as it is "unformatted"?

I too think it should show a blue dot, but it never is formatted, it just contains data calculations, which are all invalid now.

As far as you never having had a problem....  You do now... your array will not start.

The older releases (you still did not say which one you are running) all had various bugs that have been fixed.  One of them might be  the one you are experiencing.

Take a look at the release notes... see how far back you might be: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Release_Notes

4.5.6 was released yesterday... 

As far as starting, if you are absolutely certain the parity disk is the correct disk, then press the button labeled as "restore"

If you are NOT absolutely certain, go to the devices page, un-assign the parity drive, then go back to the main page and press "restore" and start the array.  All the other disks should mount and you should see all your files on the LAN.

If ANY disk shows as un-formatted, do NOT format it... not unless you know it is really empty, it might be your parity drive, and the one you left un-assigned a data drive.

Once you see all your data you can stop the array, assign a parity drive, and re-start it calculating parity.

Joe L.

Sorry, but I did mention that I have 4.5.3 version and posted the syslog as well as a screenshot of the main view. But syslog is attached here too.

I am just wondering what does it "restore" if all the dots are green. There's no way I can delete all information by pressing restore or if I update to 4.5.6?

Thanks for your time!

syslog.txt

Sorry, but I did mention that I have 4.5.3 version.

That is the version with the "format" bug.  You will want to upgrade so you do not get bit by it.
and posted the syslog as well as a screenshot of the main view. But syslog is attached here too.

I missed that... sorry.

I am just wondering what does it "restore" if all the dots are green.

It NEVER "restores" anything.  That is the issue with the label on the button.  It sets an new initial configuration based on the currently assigned and working disks.  The button was removed in 4.5.4 and replaced with a command line utility that is named "initconfig", a name that more accurately describes what it does.

There's no way I can delete all information by pressing restore or if I update to 4.5.6?

You can lose information if you have accidentally assigned a data drive as your parity drive.  You can lose information if a data disk shows up as "un-formatted" and you press the "Format" button that then appears.  Other than that, you are pretty safe.

So, un-assign the parity drive, just at first, and press "restore" then, do expect all the disks to come online when you press "Start"

If they do, and if none show as un-formatted, you can then stop the array and assign parity and start it once more.

If ALL the drives show as un-formatted, that is the major bug in 4.5.3, do not panic, just press "Stop" and then press "Start" once more.  They should then all mount.  DO NOT PRESS FORMAT!!!!!

Then, once parity is calculated and you are protected once more, upgrade to 4.5.6 so you do not get bit by the bug in 4.5.4 as several users have.  It is no fun when you realize you just re-formatted ALL your disks.

Thanks for your time!

You are welcome.

DO NOT PRESS RESTORE!!!!  Or, if you did, DO NOT PRESS Start!!!

If you expect unRAID to re-construct data disk13, then the button labeled as "restore" immediately followed by pressing "Start" is the LAST thing you want to do.  You would invalidate parity, and overwrite it with new calculations based on existing disk contents.

Do you have a valid parity drive?  With valid parity data?  That is the ONLY chance you have of recovering the data on disk13.

If you do, then there is a special process where we can tell unRAID that parity is good, and that disk13 needs rebuilding.  But first, you need to describe in DETAIL what you've done with your disks.

Joe L.

Sorry, but I did mention that I have 4.5.3 version and posted the syslog as well as a screenshot of the main view. But syslog is attached here too.

According to the syslog you attached, you are running version 4.5, not 4.5.3.

Jul  3 22:40:56 Tower emhttp: unRAID System Management Utility version 4.5

Jul  3 22:40:56 Tower emhttp: unRAID System Management Utility version 4.5

Damn, sorry. :(

I have not pressed restore. :)

I tried to unassign the parity and start the array, but that was a no-go.

The parity is valid on the parity drive. I can tell it because I only have two 2.0Tb hdd's in my system and when this one says partition is missing, it is the one i screwed up.

How can I tell the unraid to recalculate data to the disk13?

This must be happening because of the number of the disk. ;)

Jul  3 22:40:56 Tower emhttp: unRAID System Management Utility version 4.5

Damn, sorry. :(

I have not pressed restore. :)

I tried to unassign the parity and start the array, but that was a no-go.

The parity is valid on the parity drive. I can tell it because I only have two 2.0Tb hdd's in my system and when this one says partition is missing, it is the one i screwed up.

How can I tell the unraid to recalculate data to the disk13?

This must be happening because of the number of the disk. ;)

So, you are saying you used a window's utility in a different PC to remove the partition on disk13.

You think that the other 2TB drive (the parity drive) is un-changed from when it was last in the unRAID array?

If you do not have a good parity drive, you can download and run a small utility I wrote for another user that will put the partition back in place in the partition table on disk13 and not touch any of the data.  Hopefully the PC utility you used did not touch the data in the partition itself.  But that is not needed if you have a valid parity drive an we can use it to re-construct disk13.

Joe L.

your last syslog was from when you had just re-booted.

Can you post a new one covering the time during which you attempted to "Start" the array (and where it would not start)

Then I have to do it through the unraid box, is the command simply "start"?

No, it was just during the time you pressed the "Start" button.

Never mind... sounds like you've got other issues to deal with.

You need to learn how to use telnet or "putty" from your window's PC so you can do everything from the command line AND get to the management interface AND still see everythig on the Win7 box and the unRAID server.

Here is what I now understand.  If It is incorrect, do not proceed without guidance.

You wiped out the partition on disk13, your data disk.

You think the parity disk is untouched from when you last were able to boot unRAID.

We need to force unRAID to think disk13 needs to be rebuilt.  Right now, it is some state I cannot explain and you do not seem to be able to start it by pressing "Start"

So... READ ALL THE FOLLOWING STEPS BEFORE DOING ANY OF THEM.  If you do not have the situation I described, then do not proceed.  

1. All the disks that were in the server when you last calculated parity MUST still be in the server and assigned their original slots.

If not, DO NOT PROCEED.

The parity disk must be assigned to the parity slot.

If not, DO NOT PROCEED

Check the checkbox under the button labeled as "restore" and then click on the "restore" button BUT DO NOT START THE ARRAY just yet.

On the command line type the following command to force disk13 to be considered invalid.

/root/mdcmd set invalidslot 13

It should respond with "OK"

Refresh your browser on the unRAID management interface.  Disk13 should show as "red"

Only then is it OK to press the "Start" button on the management interface.   It should say something about re-constructing the failed disk (I don't remember the exact wording)

The array will use parity in combination with all the other disks to reconstruct the contents of disk13.

Joe L.

Archived