Deleted a wrong HDD in Win7

Yes, you have understood correctly and thank you for your help.

OK, just understand that if the exact disks are not in place, and parity is not as you said, then what is re-constructed will be a good copy of your files on disk13.

I have to do the rebuild on some other day that I'm at home.

Even though there wasn't than like 200Gb's of files, does it still take as long as a normal parity check?

It re-constructs the entire disk, bit-by-bit.  It has no concept of files, or space used.  Yes, it will take longer than a (read-only) parity check, it will take as long as an initial parity calculation.  (Writing to a disk is typically nowhere near as fast as reading it)

I did think of a different possibility to try, but that depends on what the Win7 program did.  If it just deleted the partition data in the master-boot-record it is easy to put that back the way it was.  If the actual file system in the partition is un-changed, we'll know it.

I wrote a tiny program for one unRAID user who had their partition table in the MBR damaged.  That program does one thing, and only one thing... It puts the partition table back to how it should be on a unRAID data disk.   It does not do anything else to a disk and leaves the data unchanged.

If you are willing, you could do the following steps INSTEAD OF THE PROCEDURE IN THE PRIOR POST.

1.  Download and un-zip the attachment to this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5072.msg47122#msg47122

2. Move the resulting file to the flash drive.   From windows file-explorer you can get to it at

\\tower\flash

If you stop the array and physically move the flash drive to your PC, just put the file at the root of the drive.

Then, move the flash drive back to the unRAID array are boot it up.  It probably will still not start.

Log in via telnet or on the system console as "root"  You should see the unraid_partition_disk.sh script if you type:

ls /boot/

From your syslog, disk13 is /dev/sdo  So, we'll first run the unraid_partition_disk.sh on it without any arguments... It should simply tell us what we suspect, that the partition is not present, but you'll know for sure.

Type:

cd /boot

unraid_partition_disk.sh /dev/sdo

If as expected, invoke it once more, but this time with the "-p" option.  This will reset the partition table in the disk to exactly how unRAID would have set it initially.

unraid_partition_disk.sh -p /dev/sdo

OK, now you need to reboot.  That way unRAID will see the partition and the next time you click on the link for disk13 in the management interface it will probably say it is a "reiserfs" file system.

Now, we can attempt to mount disk13 by typing:

mkdir /mnt/disk13

mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdo1 /mnt/disk13

Note in the above command we mount the first partition "/dev/sdo1" (trailing numeral one) on /mnt/disk13.

If that is successful, and the mount succeeds, you can see if your files are present by typing

ls -lR /mnt/disk13

If that looks like a listing of your files all we need to do now is to get unRAID up and running.

First go to the "devices" page and un-assign the parity disk.  That will prevent it from being overwritten.  We do not want to write to any file in the next  steps until you are back running normally, just in case we need to use the parity to re-construct disk13.

Once the parity disk is un-assigned use the following steps.

1. Press the button labeled as "restore" which actually sets a new initial configuration.  

2. Start the array.

If disk13 shows as un-formatted.  STOP AND DO NO MORE WITH THIS SERIES OF STEPS...

If disk13 shows your files as expected, great.  We can proceed to get the parity disk back on-line.  

If disk13 does not show your files, do not proceed with this set of instructions.  Stop the array, re-assign parity, and go back to the instruction in the prior post we you were going to re-construct disk13 from parity.

Assuming your files are as expected...

To get the parity disk back on-line you'll need to follow the steps as outlined in the "Trust My Parity Disk" procedure in the wiki.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Make_unRAID_Trust_the_Parity_Drive,_Avoid_Rebuilding_Parity_Unnecessarily

Again, only do this if the files on disk13 showed up earlier in step2.

To make this much easier you should install "putty" on your PC and use it to log onto the unRAID server instead of using the system console.  That way, you can easily switch windows and not have to deal with your lack of a monitor on the system console and a KVM that cannot reset itself when switching between computers.

Joe L.

Thanks so much for this guide!

I moved the file to flash root and logged to unraid using telnet and saw the unraid_partition_disk.sh when I typed ls /boot/ , but when I tried unraid_partition_disk.sh /dev/sdo I'd get -bash: unraid_partition_disk.sh: command not found?

That's because it is not in your current directory, and the directory it is in is not in your search PATH.

Type

cd /boot

first,

and then type

unraid_partition_disk.sh

or, use the full path to the file when invoking it by typing:

/boot/unraid_partition_disk.sh

Joe L.

Wow!

I used that unraid_partition_disk.sh -p /dev/sdo command and rebooted, the array started and from the size of the files on the disk, everything seems to be there?

I also used the ls -lR /mnt/disk13 command and the files seem to be there.

So this is it?

YOU ARE AVESOME JOE!!! CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

Wow!

I used that unraid_partition_disk.sh -p /dev/sdo command and rebooted, the array started and from the size of the files on the disk, everything seems to be there?

I also used the ls -lR /mnt/disk13 command and the files seem to be there.

So this is it?

YOU ARE AVESOME JOE!!! CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

I might be aWesome too  ;D

You might want to run a file-system check as described in the wiki in case win7 did something other than delete the partition table entry in the master-boot-record.

Instructions in the wiki here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

You will also want to do a full parity "check." It might be in sync, it may not.  In any case, it will get it in sync if it is not.  I would not feel secure until one is completed, as what you have now may not be in sync with the disk contents.

Glad you've got your files back.

Joe L.

Archived