Support for Highpoint Rocketraid 454

rally9x

This question was asked, but never answered at the start of march but the topic was hard to find on search so I thought I would reask it, if this is the wrong way to do this please delete this thread and I will put a post in the other one found at:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=507.0

I have a Highpoint Rocketraid 454 that I would like to use with unraid and one of the new boards that have 6 onboard sata (probably socket 775) to have a 14 drive unraid (8 ide, 6 sata). Does anyone know if this card is supported?

The question has come up before and I think the answer is "no".  Reason is that the card bios lets you put the drives in a RAID configuration or a JBOD - but their manual implies that JBOD combines all the attached drives to "one large volume" - not what you want.  So I don't know if it's possible to set up the bios so that each IDE channel just independently shows up on the PCI bus.

The driver they reference on their website is for using the RAID functions of the card under linux.

If you decide to try it, I can help you as best as I can to get it to work, but we currently have no experience with this card.

thanks for the reply, I think that I can see them as individual drives in windows if I destroy the raid, but the drivers may be differnt for linux/bsd. I'll try it in windows when I get around to destroying the current raid, but I don't know if I will be able to test it in unraid for awhile because one of the arrays is full and I have no where to put all the infromation stored on both for now (the reason I need unraid :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for coming in late to the party here, but I just signed up for this forum today.

I also have a RocketRAID 454, and can verify that if you don't do any setup in the card's BIOS, all drives attached will appear as individual drives to the operating system.

Does anyone know if UnRAID can support this card?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if UnRAID can support this card?

If you have the card it's a simple process to determine.  You don't have to put together a full system.  Get just about any motherboard you might have laying around (that will support USB Boot).  Plug the card into it, hook up a power supply and boot unRAID basic.  You can do this on a table-top.  Then copy the system log to the Flash and post & I can see if the ports are recognized.

Actually I just remembered I had already removed the RocketRAID card from the system because I thought it was the cause of the problems I was having with Windows Home Server RC1 (it wasn't).  Currently in its place are two Promise Ultra133TX2 controllers which are already listed as being supported.  So I guess this is no longer an issue for me.  Thanks!

Archived