We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Lost data from cache, version 6.3.5

ctviggen

I use a cache drive. I have the mover set to move data every 2 hours, as I've previously lost data going from the cache to the array.   In this case, I made changes to an Excel file (last night).  The file appears to have been copied by the mover (see the syslog below), but when I got up this morning, the original file, last modified in December of last year, was there instead of the file I had modified.

Here is the relevant part of the syslog.

Jan 20 21:00:01 Data root: moving "Family" to array
Jan 20 21:00:01 Data root: .d..t...... Family/Vanguard/House Payment Account/
Jan 20 21:00:01 Data root: >f+++++++++ Family/Vanguard/House Payment Account/Vanguard.xlsx
Jan 20 21:00:02 Data root: .d..t...... Family/Vanguard/
Jan 20 21:00:02 Data root: .d..t...... Family/

This makes it look like the file (Vanguard.xlsx) was copied from the cache to the array, but the file on the array is an old file.

Is this log saying something was copied (eg, what does ">f+++++++++" mean?)?  If so, what could have happened to cause the file not to be copied? 

Thank you.

Hi, I'm Clippy! I noticed you are asking our friendly volunteers for help, but you haven't included your diagnostics. Using the unRAID webgui, go to Tools -> Diagnostics, generate a diagnostics.zip file and attach it to your next post.  If you can't access the webgui, this post explains how to generate one from the command line.

Hi Zippy,

Here is the data diagnostics. 

It gets stranger.  I redid the changes I made to the file, plus more. I then ran a backup (copies changes in the array to a disk on a computer). The backup saved the file I changed last night!  I then went to look for the new file I literally just changed...and could not find it.  I ran the mover, rebooted the system, redid the file yet again, ran the mover and also ran a backup...and everything seems OK again. Maybe I just needed a reboot?

data-diagnostics-20180121-1507.zip

3 hours ago, ctviggen said:

Hi Zippy,

Here is the data diagnostics. 

It gets stranger.  I redid the changes I made to the file, plus more. I then ran a backup (copies changes in the array to a disk on a computer). The backup saved the file I changed last night!  I then went to look for the new file I literally just changed...and could not find it.  I ran the mover, rebooted the system, redid the file yet again, ran the mover and also ran a backup...and everything seems OK again. Maybe I just needed a reboot?

data-diagnostics-20180121-1507.zip

I am new here, and don't have much knowledge about unRaid honestly, also this does not help you at all. But the whole idea of temporarily placing files on a cache drive and moving them later to the array seems to me a bit risky, however it seems that a lot of users here are taking advantage of this feature...I hope that your modified file is still there...

Archived