We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Appear to of lost data

andyjayh

I've just upgraded from 5.0.5 to 6.4 and installed a new parity disk. Parity is sync'ed and everything seems healthy with the array.

I wanted to move some directories containing media files from one location on the same disk to another. I used MC from the command line of the server, thinking this was the quickest and safest way to move data. Moved the directories and just noticed that out of 20 odd directories only 4 have moved with contents intact. The rest have a couple of .jpg's but not the movie files and they are not in the original location either.

I'm getting mixed views actually. In some directories if browsed via the shares I can see the data in the original location but if I browse directly via the disk the data is not there! Slightly confused to be honest

Any ideas what I should be looking at?

Doing this from work so memory of paths. Basically moving a directory containing movie files from one top level to another, DVD to Movie, on the same physical disk and not using shares.

Source: mnt//usr/disk5/DVD/‘film title’
Dest: mnt/usr/disk5/media/movies/’film title’

Hope that helps. I can resolve but it’s the underlying ‘why’ that concerns me. Did I do something wrong using MC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, andyjayh said:

I can resolve but it’s the underlying ‘why’ that concerns me. Did I do something wrong using MC?

Possibly. That's why I wanted to see the exact paths you used.

Never mix /mnt/user/share and /mnt/diskX/share paths in a copy or move, unless you understand what can go wrong when you do.

4 hours ago, andyjayh said:

Source: mnt//usr/disk5/DVD/‘film title’
Dest: mnt/usr/disk5/media/movies/’film title’

Your fuzzy memory has a mix of user and disk5, which could be the issue. None of those paths would be valid as you remembered them, but there is enough there that it concerns me that you may have mixed user with disk.

Archived