We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

802.3AD Bonding - Bug? and Temp Workaround

JPrez

Hey All - 

I think I may have stumbled upon a bug or timing issue or some other incompatibility.

Details:

6.4.1 UnRaid

Supermicro X10-SL7F Board with Dual Intel Gigabit NICs

Ubiquiti Enterprise Switch (supports LACP/802.3AD)

Clean install - switch configured with LACP turned off.   UnRaid will obtain its normal IP addresses via DHCP without issue.   No problem there.

1. After initial boot, login to the UnRaid GUI and configure bonding in the unRaid GUI  (802.3 AD (4)) and save changes

2. Configure the switch to re-enable LACP) 

3. Reboot switch - allow time for switch to complete boot

4. Reboot UnRaid

5. No DHCP provided - a generic 169 IP address appears on the console.   From the shell, can't ping out, no IP present if your ifconfig

Workaround:   In the shell, issue:  /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop   followed by /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start  server then obtains a DHCP IP without issue and the bond is present (IP is assigned to the BR interface).   However, if you reboot or powercycle the same issue is present again until you re-run the commands above.

I do not believe it's a hardware issue as the same hardware worked fine with bonding on FreeNAS without issue.

Any idea what's occurring here?

Thanks

It sounds like you might have found a real bug. I suggest you report it as a defect here, including your diagnostics zip as evidence of unRAID's inability to acquire a DHCP lease when in that particular bonding mode. To provide another data point, I use mode 6 (balance-alb) bonding with a simple unmanaged switch and it has no trouble acquiring a DHCP lease with unRAID 6.4.1.

Archived