speeding_ant

Spin Down Bug

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Since 6.4.* (currently running 6.4.1), unRAID is not detecting disk spin down properly. In the GUI it shows them spun down, however a temperature is shown. Here's an example I've just taken, see screenshot for reference.

This affects the sleep plugin, as I require inactive drives before sleep. My server hasn't been sleeping for the past few weeks due to this bug.

Just to confirm, these drives are not being kept spun up due to disk activity. If I manually spin up and then spin down again, and I confirm all drives do not show a temperature, they stay spun down.

hdparm -C /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
   drive state is:  active/idle

hdparm -C /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

hdparm -C /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
   drive state is:  standby

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.23.22 AM.png

Edited by speeding_ant

Try this:

For S3-Sleep all Disks Status "standby"

Custom command "after wake-up":

hdparm -y $(ls /dev/sd*|grep '[a-z]$') >/dev/null 2>&1

Got this from bonienl because i had the same problem ^_^

Edited by Zonediver

On 14.2.2018 at 8:27 PM, speeding_ant said:

Since 6.4.* (currently running 6.4.1), unRAID is not detecting disk spin down properly. In the GUI it shows them spun down, however a temperature is shown. Here's an example I've just taken, see screenshot for reference.

This affects the sleep plugin, as I require inactive drives before sleep. My server hasn't been sleeping for the past few weeks due to this bug.

Just to confirm, these drives are not being kept spun up due to disk activity. If I manually spin up and then spin down again, and I confirm all drives do not show a temperature, they stay spun down.

hdparm -C /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:

hdparm -C /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

hdparm -C /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
   drive state is:  standby

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.23.22 AM.png

...it seems, this is not really important for you... or is it?

Only two days later I had a chance to test that command enforcing spindown on wakeup.

It seems to fix the issue, but I wonder if this should be resolved by running this command by default via the S3 sleep plugin.

Or, perhaps Limetech may have more of an idea on how to resolve drive state mismatches like this natively, rather than relying on plugins / users to discover and solve it.

1 hour ago, speeding_ant said:

Only two days later I had a chance to test that command enforcing spindown on wakeup.

It seems to fix the issue, but I wonder if this should be resolved by running this command by default via the S3 sleep plugin.

Or, perhaps Limetech may have more of an idea on how to resolve drive state mismatches like this natively, rather than relying on plugins / users to discover and solve it.

You can ask the developer bonienl for a defaultsetting, but the command solves the issue, so not really necessary ^_^

And most of the useres did not use S3 sleep so they dont care about.

Edited by Zonediver