Hardware Upgrade Question

Melocco

Ok..  I'll make this quick...   

I am wanting to upgrade my equipment. I am using a AMD black 3.2gig with 26 gig of ram...   If I switch mobo, cpu and ram (i7 or I5 instead of the amd), what would be my best way to go about setting the system back up? I think I will have to reinstall the OS on the flashcard. Right? I know I will have to reinstall the dockers to..  I have the full key, so will I need to reset that?  

Just wanting to get all my ducks in a row before I order and try to set everything up.  Thanks in advance....

36 minutes ago, Melocco said:

So I don't have to do. Anything? If not, that's perfect. But I just wanted to make sure. 

This is true unless you are doing VMs or limiting Dockers to specific cores.  There are two basic issues. One is that the # of cores and/or core pairings may be different. And for passthrough of hardware, the IOMMU groups and hardware addresses are difference. It is a good idea for VMs to recreate that VM template on the new motherboard, pointing to the existing vdisk file. Go back to the video or instructions you originally used and go through the process on the new motherboard. And to remove core limitations on your Dockers in the old motherboard configuration, and then rethink those in light of the new CPU once you move them over.

2 hours ago, ashman70 said:

If you are just swapping motherboard and cpu you don’t have to do anything. I would recommend going to the Main tab in unraid and taking a screen shot of all you drive assignments. 

See my post above. For basic NAS you are right. But for VMs and maybe some Dockers, there will be changes required.

Archived