VM Thread Allocation

DaWord2011

I just made the transition to UnRaid from FreeNAS (used for 6 years). My setup currently consists of 2x Xeon E5-2630V2 processors, 32GB of ECC memory and 6 x 4TB drives. I am in the process of adding a cache drive and will install my apps and VM's on there eventually, however, I am wanting to test out the VM capabilities of my server first. When I go to assign CPU's to the VM the cores do not seem to line up in the same fashion I would see in FreeNAS. The method I am used to seeing is cores 0-11 as CPU 1 and cores 12-23 as CPU 2, however, it appears that the core counts may not be assigned that way according to the "thread pairs" info under System Devices. I did a lot of searching and did not find anything that seemed to answer my question. When it shows "thread pairings" is that the two threads for a single core, or simply the corresponding threads on each CPU (ex. core 1, thread 1 for CPU 1 & 2)? For instance, in the second attached image, it shows Pair 1 as CPU 0 / CPU 12. Does this imply that the first CPU core consists of threads 0 & 12? Or does this simply indicate that threads 0 & 12 are the first thread of each processor? The reason I ask is typically it is best practice to assign the threads under the same core so that you divvy up the resources a little more evenly, and avoid simply using one thread from multiple cores. 

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Archived