[SOLVED] iTerm2 (osx) broken pipe message

I used to connect to my unraid v5 using iTerm2, but now when i try to connect, iTerm shows a message about a 'broken pipe' and just quits.

What is causing this, and how do i fix it? If i switch to my Windows machine and start a telnet session using Putty, everything is ok.

Edited by jowi
1 hour ago, jowi said:

Restarting the mac did not help. Maybe rebooting the unraid server? Strange thing is that when using Putty from a Windows machine, everything is fine.

Hi jowl,

The only time I get broken pipe issues using iTerm2, are when I reboot the remote machine while still connected with ssh.  Which would be expected.

If you can connect your unRaid machine with Putty from Windows, then obviously things should work.  You could try rebooting your unRaid machine to rule out any issues.

I am running a new version of unRaid than you are, but I don't think that should be an issue.

My last suggestion would be to search the internet for issues with "broken pipe" on osx using terminal or iTerm2.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to reboot the unraid server because my UPS battery needed replacement... after restarting, tried iterm2... again, broken pipe message. I give up. Must be something with iterm2.  

iterm2 forums etc doesn't help anything; all i could find is something to remove the error message, but even that doesn't work. 

I'll try with osx' own telnet, see what that does.

*edit* it appears that Apple in its Infinite Wisdom has removed telnet from Sierra and up.

I've followed this: https://medium.com/ayuth/bring-telnet-back-on-macos-high-sierra-11de98de1544

To get telnet back, iterm2 still doesn't work but this way i can telnet into my unraid server using osx's own terminal.

The nc (netcat) option doesn't work for me...

So, not really solved, but i found a good workaround. Must admit, osx's own terminal program works even better then iterm2 with midnight commander.

Edited by jowi