Making an older AMD GPU available for my VM

Ruthalas

Hello folks,

I am trying to make an AMD Radeon 4000 series GPU available to a VM I am setting up. It is the only discrete GPU in the system.
Unfortunately, this PCI device does not show up in the 'Graphics Card' dropdown menu.

Someone recommended changing the BIOS to SeaBIOS in case it was a UEFI thing, but that has no effect as far as I can tell. (No new options in the 'Graphics Card' dropdown.)

Running lspci –vvnn | grep VGA shows the card I am trying to use, so it is visible to the unRAID OS in some fashion:

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV635 [Radeon HD 3650/3750/4570/4580] [1002:9598] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Does anyone have any advice for getting this card up and running?

Edit: After a bit of reading, it seems that an issue might be that IOMMU is disabled. According to wikipedia, my CPU (AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+) supports it, as far as I can tell. I am not having success finding the option in my BIOS though.

11 hours ago, Ruthalas said:

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

I question your even looking at trying to use this CPU to setup a VM.  That thing just barely has enough horsepower to run a a base unRAID NAS.  See here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+4200%2B

It will actually have performance issues if you attempt to run a simple dual parity NAS setup.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:43 AM, Frank1940 said:

I question your even looking at trying to use this CPU to setup a VM.  That thing just barely has enough horsepower to run a a base unRAID NAS.  See here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+4200%2B

It will actually have performance issues if you attempt to run a simple dual parity NAS setup.

That is an excellent point.

I will look at another device I have as an alternative.

Archived