Nested VM's

spirituality

I really love and appreciate VM nesting.

I run my VMware VMs under VMware workstation running on a Windows 10 host. Doing the quick manual edit to each of the VMX files (which is in demoed in the video as well as the link above). Works well.

One VERY nice VMware feature is called "unity mode". In this mode, windows inside your VM show up on the Windows host's desktop. One of my VMware VMs runs an app that only works under Windows 2000. And I am able to use Unity mode to make it look and feel like it is running natively on Windows 10. Mine is not a common use case - but this is very important to me. I don't think this is possible with ESX. I can run the app under a Windows 2000 KVM VM, but without Unity mode it is much less useful. But I can imagine other people will have similar uses if the primary UI is not a browser.

But many of my VMs are older ones that are earlier computers that have been retired and honestly have not been used in quite some time. But one is a .NET development environment that I use to maintain a productivity app I created long ago and still use and update from time to time. I could probably run this one under ESX with pretty much equal ease.

VMware workstation is not free. But there is (unless this has changed) a free trial of VMware you can download. And you can create any VMs you need during the trial period. These VMs can be played back using the free VMware player,. I have not tried it, but believe that the player would work just like VMware inside a Windows VM.

Enjoy!

Archived