Switching Raid Cards

thebeae

So when I originally setup my server I didn't look into what RAID cards would give me smart data and have been using an Adaptec ASR-5805 256MB with the drives in jbod mode. And I finally want to properly upgrade (the performance on this raid card has been awful as well)

I got a new LSI card which I know works however I want to avoid having to do a fully parity sync since I know the drives are still good at this point (only 3 of my drives are on this card the parity/cache and two others are on the on board controller). Would going to a new config be the best way to go about this? Or would removing the parity drive starting the array and then stopping the array and adding everything back in that way be the easiest/safest? Just curious on what people think would be the best way to go at this point.

Normally changing the controller card does not impact unRAIDs ability to detect the drives.

It normally shocks people to realize that unRAID knows absolutely nothing about your hardware when it boots. It rediscovers and literally installs Linux based on the hardware you have at that boot. The drives are remembered by their model/serial number string, which most controllers maintain very precisely. So it doesn't matter to unRAID which controller your drives are plugged into.

So I think if you put it together with the new controller and drives hooked up correctly, the configuration will be verified and the array will just start. It is a good idea to run a parity check to ensure all of the drives are secured and functioning, before trying to add a lot of new content.

Good luck!

Normally changing the controller card does not impact unRAIDs ability to detect the drives.

It normally shocks people to realize that unRAID knows absolutely nothing about your hardware when it boots. It rediscovers and literally installs Linux based on the hardware you have at that boot. The drives are remembered by their model/serial number string, which most controllers maintain very precisely. So it doesn't matter to unRAID which controller your drives are plugged into.

So I think if you put it together with the new controller and drives hooked up correctly, the configuration will be verified and the array will just start. It is a good idea to run a parity check to ensure all of the drives are secured and functioning, before trying to add a lot of new content.

Good luck!
I did try that already and it unfortunately did not like the previously jbod 'd drives. Sorry I should have mentioned that :/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Archived