Help needed. Unraid pfsense VM & networking

michaelpockett

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere but I have searched and not found anything so far that fully explains how to do what I'm looking to do.

My current setup has a router which provides my internet connection and WI-FI using DHCP and has my AppleTv's/phones/tablets etc connected via DHCP. My UnRaid server is connected via eth0 to the router with a reserved static address of 192.168.6.10.  I then have 2 nics connected to the pfsense VM assigned for WAN (192.168.6.2) as a reserved address & LAN (192.168.6.3) as a reserved address  which goes to a 5 port switch that has VLAN capabilities connected to a port on the router that has VLAN options. I need to keep the WI-FI and AppleTvs etc separate from my UnRaid system.

I'm looking for a guide or advice to help with the following parts.

I have setup the pfsense VM and I have setup the VPN in the pfsense VM.

I need advice on how to complete the following.

1) Connect all of my current VM's & dockers via the pfsense VM? From my reading on the forums and the internet I think I need to do this via bridging using br0 or a new br number i.e. br1/2 etc that I create or possibly using VLAN's, which is the best way to do this?

2) I would like to avoid having DHCP issues with the devices currently on the network, would it be best to use br0/1/2 etc using  a different IP address range that is assigned via DHCP from either unRaid or pfsense or using static addresses? My router currently hands out IP addresses via DHCP from 192.168.6.2/24 up to 100 (routers IP is 192.168.6.1/24). Would it be best to use br0 using 192.168.7.0/24 or a different range for the VM's & dockers within UnRaid?

I hope this made sense, if you have any questions as to the setup and what I'm trying to achieve I'm happy to discuss this. I think I have the general idea correct I just need something to help pull it all together so it makes sense and I can follow on with the setup.

Thanks

Michael

Archived