(SOLVED)New router cannot see my unraid server

ColonelC61

Let me preface this by saying I'm not new to computers, but I am a complete newb to network stuff. I may be slightly over my head here(for now)

Anyway, I recently upgraded my router/modem from the 802.11n garbage xfinity provides to a netgear c7000v2.Router works great with every other device in the house but still I can no longer see my unraid server on any device.

as far as I can tell DHCP is enabled but during boot I see

BR0: searching for carrier

BR0: carrier acquired

BR0: soliciting a dhcp lease

BR0: carrier lost

then it loops 3 more times, and gives up. I have tried changing to a static IP on the same subnet (192.168.0.1 is router default, so I set my server to 192.168.0.66 [MANY devices on my network, hence router upgrade and high suffix #])

I have also tried fix common problems, nano editing the network.cfg (even deleted to start from scratch), and still it does not show up even on my routers home screen as an attached device. I feel I've been very thorough before posting, but I cant seem to figure this one out so its time to ask for help

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Ha! I've got one of those, but not in an unRAID server. It's all black and yellow. It's quite a nice board but I have two niggles with it. The first is that you can't fit a two-slot graphics card without blocking access to the only x1 slot and the second is that it comes with a Realtek NIC, not an Intel one as you might think. In my case the first niggle doesn't matter because I put a Ryzen 2400G in which has more than enough graphics capability for the purpose. The second niggle is less of a problem with Windows than with Linux because Realtek supports Windows and writes drivers while the Linux drivers are reverse engineered.

But on to your problem. The NIC is being detected and the driver is being loaded, as your diagnostics show. It should work with Linux but its performance is a bit lacklustre (niggle 2) and most people end up fitting an Intel NIC in a PCIe slot. It looks like your video card blocks that slot though (niggle 1). Your diagnostics shown that there is no link detected:

Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: No
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Speed: 10Mb/s
	Duplex: Half
	Port: MII
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: internal
	Auto-negotiation: on
	Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	Wake-on: g
	Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
			       drv probe ifdown ifup
	Link detected: no

driver: r8169
version: 2.3LK-NAPI
firmware-version: rtl8168h-2_0.0.2 02/26/15
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:1e:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

Your syslog is full of messages saying that the link is down, now it's back again, now it's gone again. When it's present it only negotiates a 10 Mb/s connection, which is no use at all:

Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: r8169 0000:1e:00.0 eth0: link up
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: bond0: link status definitely up for interface eth0, 10 Mbps full duplex
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: bond0: making interface eth0 the new active one
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: bond0: first active interface up!
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: br0: port 1(bond0) entered blocking state
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: br0: port 1(bond0) entered forwarding state
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS dhcpcd[3206]: br0: carrier acquired
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: r8169 0000:1e:00.0 eth0: link down
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: bond0: link status definitely down for interface eth0, disabling it
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS kernel: bond0: now running without any active interface!
Apr  5 12:36:19 TufNAS dhcpcd[3206]: br0: soliciting a DHCP lease
Apr  5 12:36:20 TufNAS kernel: br0: port 1(bond0) entered disabled state
Apr  5 12:36:21 TufNAS dhcpcd[3206]: br0: carrier lost

I'm still tempted to think it's a cable or switch port or NIC port problem. It might be a mechanical issue with the motherboard connector itself. Are any of the pins damaged, for example? Is there a metal tab from the I/O shield poking into it? How are so sure that the cable is good? It needs all eight wires to work and they have to be connected as pairs, so checking it with a meter pin to pin isn't enough. It has to carry high frequencies as well as DC. The other thing it could possibly be is a damaged trace on the motherboard, possibly caused by scraping it against a stand-off pillar when fitting it in the case.

Archived