Can't get new USB stick to work

go69cars

My server quit a few days ago.   When I hooked it up to a monitor and tried to reboot it stopped at a flashing cursor.   I took the USB stick out and put it in another computer and found it was corrupted.   I found another USB stick (Lexar 16 GB) and loaded a backup copy of my flash drive I had made a week or 2 prior.   I then put that in my server and attempted to reboot.   Again I was stuck with the flashing cursor

Since then I've tried downloading a fresh copy of UNRAID on to the USB stick with no luck.  I've checked my BIOS and made sure the USB stick was the first priority in the boot sequence.   

I'm at a loss as to where to go next.   I know I have to get a key for a new USB stick, but I thought that would be after I got the server rebooted.   Do I have to get the key first?   Is that what is causing my issue?   Am I missing a step that I haven't thought of?   Is it my motherboard not booting from the USB any longer?   I guess I'm asking for help on what to do next.  

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

How did you get unRAID onto the new ‘uSB stick?    If you copied it manually did you remember to run the make_bootable file afterwards?

This could be my issue.  So I copy the saved backup and then run the make_bootable file?   If that’s the way it goes then that’s my issue.  I’ll give it a go

Archived