one or more controller

I've gone back and forth a while now, should i get a prebuilt NAS or build it my self, you know the process ;)

But now i have decided to build my own, I have a few things that i can use, but there are still some uncertainties on how everything should be setup.

Hopefully i can get some answers here.

- What I'm after is a system for 20-24 drives with at least 2 parity, for extra redundancy is it possible to use 3 or even 4 parity disks?

- Regarding controller, I'm looking at a LSI SAS 9305-24i which works out of the box and support all 24 drives, is it a good idea to use two or even more controller rather then a single controller (regarding security and performance)?

- I already have 2x 500GB SSD that i can use for cache, would it be possible to use them in RAID1 for extra redundancy?

1 minute ago, r4ptor said:

is it possible to use 3 or even 4 parity disks?

unRAID only supports up to 2 parity disks. Parity is not a substitute for backups.

2 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

I already have 2x 500GB SSD that i can use for cache, would it be possible to use them in RAID1 for extra redundancy?

btrfs raid1 is the default setting for the cache pool.