New build, Kaby Lake, Coffe Lake or Ryzen?

andacey

Well, I have one possible issue. I finished copying the data over and installed the remaining drives. Everything showed up fine, but preclear aborted within about 30s for one of the drives. The other 2 are churning away fine, I could tell something was off because it was showing only 80MB/s for that drive and dropping down to 40MB/s before it aborted. The drive was working fine in my old NAS, including the final copying over with 1 drive removed (needed it for disk space on Umraid) so I'm pretty confident that the drive is fine. My guess is that it's a bad SATA connection. I'm using some really thin Seasonic SATA cables and I had to bend them pretty aggressively so that's my first guess as to where the problem is.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:39 PM, Tybio said:

With an open case, some of the more flush comps might be getting LESS airflow than in a closed one.  Remember, the fans aren't drawing properly with the case open.  I ran into that a few builds back and obsessed about it for a while before closing it up, then saw the drives warm by a degree or two and the MB sensors drop by up to 10 degrees.  Air will flow in the unrestrained path, in a small open case that often negates the effect of the main system fan on items down by the motherboard.

Not saying it /will/ change, just advising to plop the case lid on and run a parity check for an hour or two before you make any conclusions

Haven't run a full parity check since I've put the lid on but preclears are working great with spikes only into the low 30s. The M.2 card did also drop significantly, it's idling in the mid-20s now instead of low 30s so at least a 5-degree drop in idle temps. I figured the lack of airflow was the issue, the big 140mm fan on the back was going to pull way more air from the top with the lid off, with it closed down it's definitely pulling the air away from the M.2 as it should.

Sadly, better visibility to my drives is also highlighting the state of my old NAS drives. I knew I had some bad sectors but wasn't immediately freaking over that, but I'm seeing some pending sector errors on 2 of the drives, not counting the one that's not working properly at all yet (haven't had time to check the connections). The old 3TB Reds are right around the end of their warranty too of course, so I may or may not be able to RMA them.