Setup unRaid with Storage Array on SAN (iSCSI) and local Cache Pool

Hello,

what I'd like to know would be if it is possible to setup an unRAID Server in the way, that the actual
Storage Array actualy is hosted on an external SAN (e.g. StarWind Virtual SAN), connected via iSCSI,
while the Cache Pool (if needed, maybe optionaly later on ... or just to see if it works) is located locally

and directly attached to the hardware running unRAID.

I'm asking, because I'm considering to switch to unRAID and might have the chance to receive a cheap SAN-Serverbuild,

I'd like to use if possible with unRAID.

Best regards,

RaEyE

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i don't think this could work as a normal build.

Unraid needs access to the disks. The iscsi san will present volume(s) to unraid.

If you want to use disks in an external chassis the best choice is a das connected with sas connection and managed by a hba in IT mode (lsi for best compatibility).

What is the hardware behind your starwind san ?

On 5/11/2018 at 11:46 PM, RaEyE said:

Hello,

what I'd like to know would be if it is possible to setup an unRAID Server in the way, that the actual
Storage Array actualy is hosted on an external SAN (e.g. StarWind Virtual SAN), connected via iSCSI,
while the Cache Pool (if needed, maybe optionaly later on ... or just to see if it works) is located locally

and directly attached to the hardware running unRAID.

I'm asking, because I'm considering to switch to unRAID and might have the chance to receive a cheap SAN-Serverbuild,

I'd like to use if possible with unRAID.

Best regards,

RaEyE

At the moment Unraid does not include iSCSI support so I do not think this will work.   However, I have no experience of such a system so could be wrong.