Hardware swap

pfp

I have two unRAID servers both with 12 nearly full drives. (actually one has 15 drives now but I'm planning to do some consolidation to get it to 12).  The two servers have completely different hardware.  I can get the array in the Antec 1200 case down to 12 drives and it's no longer growing so I don't anticipate needing more drives in it, plus it has some smaller drives that could be swapped out if necessary.  The array in the Coolermaster 590 is still growing at a decent rate and all drives are already 2tb. 

I want to swap the drives in the two servers so that I can add four more to the growing array without needing to purchase new cases, PSU's etc.  I believe this is possible but just wanted to check and make sure.  My thought is to note the drive positions for each array and  connect them in their new servers in the same position.  I think I want to swap the the unRAID flash drives too.  Does this sound right?

I have two unRAID servers both with 12 nearly full drives. (actually one has 15 drives now but I'm planning to do some consolidation to get it to 12).  The two servers have completely different hardware.  I can get the array in the Antec 1200 case down to 12 drives and it's no longer growing so I don't anticipate needing more drives in it, plus it has some smaller drives that could be swapped out if necessary.  The array in the Coolermaster 590 is still growing at a decent rate and all drives are already 2tb. 

I want to swap the drives in the two servers so that I can add four more to the growing array without needing to purchase new cases, PSU's etc.  I believe this is possible but just wanted to check and make sure.  My thought is to note the drive positions for each array and  connect them in their new servers in the same position.  I think I want to swap the the unRAID flash drives too.  Does this sound right?

If you swap all the drives, AND the flash drives between the two cases, and MAKE sure you re-assign the drives to their respective slots in the array, you should be fine. (make screen-shots before you move them, so you know which drive is assigned where)

If you swap all the drives, AND the flash drives between the two cases, and MAKE sure you re-assign the drives to their respective slots in the array, you should be fine. (make screen-shots before you move them, so you know which drive is assigned where)

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I always take a new screen shots any time I make a change to the drives. 

Archived