CPU OC not being read by VM?

Hi all,

I noticed that inside my Windows VM, CPU-Z and Prime95 now both display clocks of ~3400.8 MHz, despite my bios reading 3900 (overclock setting).  I'm concerned that my CPU's clock is now no longer being communicated properly to my VMs, or worse that my overclock isn't taking.  Benchmarks appear to back the theory that the clock isn't taking.  Zenstates isn't active on account of me still not quite fully understanding how to use it.  

Does anyone have any ideas on tools to check CPU clock, or if something else could be blocking my OC?  Build is in my signature, but it's an MSI Gaming Pro x370 and a 1700x.

usually this is the power save functions in the BIOS that cause the CPU to not clock up when it is being pushed.

you can ssh into the server and cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "MHz" just do a few up and enters while throwing a load at the cpu.

see if it changes if not play around with some your BIOS power save functions for the CPU, i've found this happen to me as well.

Your VM is going to show the stock clocks but the Linux OS you should see the peak core speed hit your overclock speed.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Maticks said:

usually this is the power save functions in the BIOS that cause the CPU to not clock up when it is being pushed.

you can ssh into the server and cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "MHz" just do a few up and enters while throwing a load at the cpu.

see if it changes if not play around with some your BIOS power save functions for the CPU, i've found this happen to me as well.

Your VM is going to show the stock clocks but the Linux OS you should see the peak core speed hit your overclock speed.

I'm used to the VM grabbing the correct clocks via CPU-Z, despite plenty of people getting otherwise.  Guess it finally happened that they failed.

Cat-ing the cpuinfo revealed the chip is actually running at proper speeds.  I also just noticed the tips and tweaks plugin gives a watch for the data too.  

Test Case for future reference:

Open nice terminal provided by 6.5(?) UI.  Enter 'watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo', note lower core clocks

CPU-Z bench

Observe VM-assigned core clocks rise to 3899.0 during bench

• Like 1