Unmountable: No file system

kolla

Just last weekend I upgraded a 3T disk on my array (Disk 6) with a newly pre-cleared 8T disk. Powered off, swapped the disk and re-started array and data rebuild was done. At the end of it however now the new disk shows up as "Unmountable: No file system". I then did a system reboot and when it came back up Disk 6 still has the same message. Additionally this time another disk (Disk 5) came up as disabled (X mark). I then re-enabled it and did a full data re-construct of that disk (Disk 5) as per the instructions on wiki:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

(Re-enable the drive section)

After near 24 hours, Disk 5 is now enabled but both Disk 5 & Disk 6 are now showing up as "Unmountable: No file system". Both disks are "reiserfs".

Can someone help?

I did that johnnie and also ran with "--fix-fixable".

Parity was valid before I started this disk replacement process so I don't know what went wrong..

I have done this before too with no issues.

Am I basically screwed at this point with no hope? Is there a way to get the data off the disks by connecting the disks to my windows 10 PC or something?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reiserfsck 3.6.27

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md5
Will put log info to 'stdout'
###########
reiserfsck --check started at Wed May 30 19:44:43 2018
###########

reiserfs_open_journal: journal parameters from the superblock does not match
to the journal headers ones. It looks like that you created your fs with old
reiserfsprogs. Journal header is fixed.

Replaying journal: 
Replaying journal: Done.
Reiserfs journal '/dev/md5' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed
Checking internal tree..  finished
Comparing bitmaps..Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped
1 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree
###########
reiserfsck finished at Wed May 30 19:51:39 2018
###########
block 10140203: The level of the node (59653) is not correct, (4) expected
 the problem in the internal node occured (10140203), whole subtree is skipped
vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.

================================================

reiserfsck 3.6.27

Will check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md6
and will fix what can be fixed without --rebuild-tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'
###########
reiserfsck --fix-fixable started at Wed May 30 23:04:17 2018
###########
Replaying journal: No transactions found
Checking internal tree..  finished
Comparing bitmaps..Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped
1 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree
###########
reiserfsck finished at Wed May 30 23:06:46 2018
###########
Zero bit found in on-disk bitmap after the last valid bit. Fixed.
block 598179864: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (4) expected
 the problem in the internal node occured (598179864), whole subtree is skipped
vpf-10630: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs. Will be fixed later.

13 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to run reiserfsck with --rebuild-tree

Thanks johnnie I did that last night and after nearly 12 hours of running on Disk#5 it gave me a "lost+found" directory with bits and pieces of some of my data scattered everywhere..

Looks like I lost most of my data on that disk .. sadly. I'm not sure if I could run a data recover SW on this to get something back..

My server has been running stable for years and this is the first time I'm running into a data loss. That too because I set out to "upgrade" an existing 4T disk on my array (Disk#6)

with a newly pre-cleared 8T disk. Something clearly went wrong somewhere and I ended up losing data on a different disk on the array (Disk#5). For the disk I originally set out to upgrade (Disk#6), at least I still have the original 4T disk I physically removed from my server with all the data intact. 

This leaves me with trying to recover data from Disk#5 and I don't even have a list of items which was on that disk. What's the best way forward from here?

Assuming the worst case scenario I may lose everything on Disk#5 and I'll have to re-format and add back to array as an empty disk.

What are the steps of doing that safely since my parity maybe invalid now and I don't want to lose any more disks already assigned in the array.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, kolla said:

What are the steps of doing that safely since my parity maybe invalid now and I don't want to lose any more disks already assigned in the array.

Just format the disk and parity will be updated, but you should run a parity check to make sure it's valid, I still believe it  wasn't to have two rebuilt disks corrupt.

OK I re-formatted Disk#6 and it's back in the array as empty. This is the replacement disk for the original one from the array I set out to upgrade.

Since the original disk (currently sitting on my table) still has data intact, what's the best way to copy that into this newly formatted disk in my array?

I'm thinking connecting it to my windows PC and use a Linux file reader to copy and transfer to the unraid array.. 

Parity is valid.

18 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If you have an extra port on the server you can use the UD plugin to mount the disk and then copy the data, or even connect it using a USB enclosure or dock station, it would be easier than using a Windows PC.

Good idea! Thanks for the tip. Will try that ..

Archived