Bakc up Solutions

supertom44

Hey all I have just got my unraid up and running and love it.

I was just wondering what sort of back up solutions people are using?

The issue I have is as my collection grows I think it becomes more important for me to have some sort of back up, but as it grows it becomes more expensive to back up. I sadly cant afford to have double the storage and have two copies of everything.

I know unraid has a parity drive and once I have finished copying everything I will install one, but its not fault proof.

Cheers.

Critical items (photos, home video, tax reports, etc) are backed up to multiple USB disks a couple of which are kept off site.

Favourite DVDs and Music are also mirrored on USB disk, to save reripping if unRAID box dies. Reripping and/or insurance looks after the rest.

I have important data mirrored on to:

1) Offline NAS -- monthly backup of data that doesn't often change (Gigabit LinkStation)

2) Online NAS (LinkStation Pro 2TB, on 24/7)

3) NAS that is on a sleep schedule -- it wakes up every day for an hour to rsync 10 folders from the LinkStation Pro (LinkStation Live)

I like NAS devices!  ;D

I also have this command running as a cron job every day on my LS Pro -- it just lists new data added so that I can reconstruct the data from the original sources if there's a catastrophic failure:

8 8 * * * ls -l -t "/mnt/disk1/share/HD/Movies" > /mnt/disk1/share/Backups/HD_Movies_Listing.rtf

Archived