High SSD temp, then unresponsive Dockers?

baconborn

Had a strange problem with my new unRAID server yesterday. I have email alerts set up and received a chain of email alerts from the server saying "Cache disk is hot (46C)," followed by "Cache disk returned to normal temperature" about 5 times while I was at work. When I got home to investigate, my Dockers were completely unresponsive and my shares and PleX server weren't working at all, and I also noticed all my CPU cores and memory utilization were fluctuating between 95-100% usage. I did a simple reboot (which hurt my feelings because I had just reached 15 days uptime), and everything seems to running completely normally. Nothing has changed in regards to the room temperature where the server I located, or the usage. Any ideas what might have happened and how to possibly avoid this happening again?

Specs are a Ryzen 5 2400G, Gigabyte GAB350M Gaming 3, 2x4GB GB DDR4-3000, 250GB Samsung 860 EVO (cache), and 5x4TB Seagate Ironwolf 5400RPM HDD, running unRAID 6.5.2

10 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

46C is normal and perfectly fine for an SSD, it should go even higher after heavy writes, you can change the thresholds just for that device by clicking on it on the main page.

I understand this, and have already changed the thresholds to be more appropriate temperatures. My question is I got these alerts, and when I investigated the server I had maxed out CPU and memory usage and completely unresponsive dockers. Is there some kind of connection here, any ideas on what might have happened and some practices I can implement to avoid this again?

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Very likely unrelated.

Any ideas on why the CPU and memory usage might have been maxed out with completely unresponsive dockers? It had been running for 2 weeks without a hitch previously with no changes from me directly to any settings or load.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

No, diagnostics might help, but likely a docker gone rogue.

Can you explain a rogue docker? I did notice after rebooting the server that 'Fix Common Problems' had an alert about Krusader being depreciated for binhex's version. Could something like that result in the described symptoms?

Archived