Cache Drive - Old 60GB SSD

Merijeek

I don't currently have a cache drive. I've currently got 6 decent sized HDDs in my UnRAID server. 

Anyway, I've added an Adaptec SATA card that I got for only $20 off Ebay. So, that's nice. 

Looking at my random pieces and parts, the only thing I've got that might be worthwhile right now is adding an old OCZ Agility 2 SATA II drive. 

60GB is obviously useless for storage. This SSD is something I got when they were brand new to the market, so at the time it was kind of cool...but is there a point to putting this thing as a cache drive? 

My server is mostly a media server, but I do run dockers, so I could see moving appdata there. 

My cache drive seems to be sitting unused, so that's interesting. I thought the system would use it like, well, a cache. Guess I need to read up on it. 

Check your share settings for appdata and system, make sure 'preferred' is selected for 'Use cache disk'.

You may have to invoke the Mover:

Prefer indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto Cache disk/pool.

44 minutes ago, Merijeek said:

My server is mostly a media server, but I do run dockers, so I could see moving appdata there. 

My cache drive seems to be sitting unused, so that's interesting. I thought the system would use it like, well, a cache. Guess I need to read up on it. 

UnRAID will not use the cache drive except where you tell it do so.!

Every share can be set individually as to what use (if any) it should make of the cache drive.    It is worth turning on the Help in the GUI to get a good description of the implication of each of the possible settings for using the cache.

Archived