(SOLVED) Synology HDD to Unraid

fallenhd

Hi Guys,

New here sop bear with me. Just set up my unraid server with 3 drive, 2 in a array (parity +1). The third drive came from my synology nas and

has all my data. I'm driving to trasnfer the data from it to the array but I;m getting issues mounting it. I',m guessing due to the file system. Is there anyway to transfer it

without having to put it back into the synology as that will be a bit more work due to the setup.

If the drive was part of RAID-5 or other striped volume on the Synology, then the drive isn't meaningful to look at standalone and you would have to remount it in the Synology and transfer over the network or to a USB drive connected to the Synology.

6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

I'm not familiar with all the combinations available on synology. Was it part of a RAID set? Which file system is it?

Hi, thanks for responding. It was raid 1 and I believe a linux file system since unraid show this when I try to mount it

" linux_raid_member".

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you installed theUnassigned Devices plugin on the UnRAID system?   The UD plugin helps with mounting drives that are not part of the array, and also adds support for some additional file system types.   

Tried this but it was showing up. Used this as a ref. with the new verrsion of Krusader. Thanks for replying.

13 minutes ago, pwm said:

If the drive was part of RAID-5 or other striped volume on the Synology, then the drive isn't meaningful to look at standalone and you would have to remount it in the Synology and transfer over the network or to a USB drive connected to the Synology.

Really, thats what I was afraid off, small case thick power supply wires, some fiddling will be needed  Thanks for responding, guess I'll have to remount it.

10 minutes ago, fallenhd said:

Hi, thanks for responding. It was raid 1 and I believe a linux file system since unraid show this when I try to mount it

" linux_raid_member".

Not a stripe set. But the traditional Linux RAID software even for mirrors implements the normal volume inside a RAID container with an additional header on the volume where a unique RAID id name is stored and information about time and number of mounts. This is done so that the machine on next mount will be able to figure out which of all the disks that belongs to the same mirror - and if one disk has dropped out of the mirror it will have a lower transaction counter in this additional header.

So as you noted, it is flagged as having a partition of type linux RAID.

23 minutes ago, pwm said:

Not a stripe set. But the traditional Linux RAID software even for mirrors implements the normal volume inside a RAID container with an additional header on the volume where a unique RAID id name is stored and information about time and number of mounts. This is done so that the machine on next mount will be able to figure out which of all the disks that belongs to the same mirror - and if one disk has dropped out of the mirror it will have a lower transaction counter in this additional header.

So as you noted, it is flagged as having a partition of type linux RAID.

Ok thanks for the additional info man, much appreciated.

Archived