Problem with ISP router (AVM/ Fritz!Box 6490 Cable) and port forwarding....how to upgrade my Network?

Random.Name

Well i have an ISP issued router: Fritz!Box 6490 Cable (germany) and i have a ton of Problems with port forwarding.

The Port forwarding options are super strange, if i try to forward both ipv4 and ipv6 ports the ipv6 ports seem to target a different device in my network and Plex is totally unable to forward ports by itself, even thought i checkt every option that should allow it.

Right now i am thinking about getting some dedicated pfSense hardware like the SG-1000 but i am not really sure how to set it all up.

What i think i should do is:

1. connect the SG-1000 WAN Port with one of the Fritz!Box's LAN ports

2. configure the SG-1000 as static IP and exposed host inside the Fritz!Box's options

3. connect the SG-1000 LAN port to my unRAID Server

4. configure everything related to unRAID inside the SG-1000

Everything else in my Network could be connected directly to the Fritz!Box (sonos speaker, XBox, Laptops) and should work without any problems?

Would that be about right or am i missing some crucial steps here?

EDIT: Ok...i looked into the SG-1000 a bit more and it looks like i wont be happy about the speed it provides :/
Looks like i have to take the pfSense VM route.

But would the basic principles be the same as i lay them out?

Edited by Random.Name
  • 2 weeks later...

I think everything should be managed through the SG-1000 as pfSense is a must for any home network for that additional layer of seucirty, in addition It makes forwarding a bit more organised and managable.

I think once you get into pfSense you will get an upgrade later on, I started with a j3455 board and ended up with an i3-7100 as my main router, it can do a lot for your network.

2 hours ago, cywa said:

hi,

ipv6 is also not the same as ipv4. with ipv6 every device have a public ip. i dont now how your isp give you ipv6 and how the fritzbox handels it.

a vm pfsense should work.

IPv6 doesn't guarantee all equipment has a public IP - only that there exists enough IP so you can map one or more public IP to every device. But in the end it all comes down to the firewall policy.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2018 at 5:27 PM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I think everything should be managed through the SG-1000 as pfSense is a must for any home network for that additional layer of seucirty, in addition It makes forwarding a bit more organised and managable.

I think once you get into pfSense you will get an upgrade later on, I started with a j3455 board and ended up with an i3-7100 as my main router, it can do a lot for your network.

I am convinced with his feedback. Although, I use a different model of pfSense along with the Ivacy VPN app and I don't think there is any extra shield needed because that's more than enough.