Help - recommendation for 16-24 bay

I'm building a new NAS and its going to have 16 or 24 drives, but i cant decide on the components, which is why i could use some recommendations.

Primarily its going to be a NAS, but I also want plex on it with 1-3 streams.

What i have laying around is a supermicro X11SSH-LN4F motherboard with a i3-6300T cpu, a 500w psu and a 24 bay narco case (which i might sell for one with fewer bays).

The motherboard has a free pci-e 3.0 x8 slot for a HBA card, the rest is going to be occupied by a nvm cache ssd and a dual sfp+ nic.

So how am I going to put this server together with a controller without a bottleneck?

1. The controller LSI SAS 9305-24i is expensive ($500-600) but its simple plug and play, enough ports for all drives and utilize x8 pci-e 3.0.

2. On the other hand, the LSI SAS 9201-16i is cheap but has only 16 ports (im fine with that) but can it handle drives over 4TB and max the speed of the drives?

3. If I went with the 9201-16i and added a Intel RES2SV240, can it handle 24 drives with max performance?

7 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

If I went with the 9201-16i and added a Intel RES2SV240, can it handle 24 drives with max performance?

You'd still have a decent speed but would be limited by the PCIe 2.0 bus, maximum speed of or below 125MB/s during parity checks, rebuilds, etc.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

You'd still have a decent speed but would be limited by the PCIe 2.0 bus, maximum speed of or below 125MB/s during parity checks, rebuilds, etc.

Thanks for the fast reply.
So it would be better to ignore the expander and simply use 16 drives directly to the 9201-16i. I should then get 4000/16=250MB/s per drive then?

25 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

is PCIe 3.0

Your right, i miss read that.

If you want to max performance of your discs but still on a budget, a 9207-8i with a RES2SV240 seems to be the way to go.

I noticed that the 9300-8i is evenly matched in price, would that give even better performance then the 9207-8?

Also, what is the pci-e port on the  RES2SV240 for? power maybe but cant you power it from the molex on top instead?

13 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

I noticed that the 9300-8i is evenly matched in price, would that give even better performance then the 9207-8?

Same with SATA disks, it would be faster with SAS3 SSDs (with a SAS3 expander).

13 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

Also, what is the pci-e port on the  RES2SV240 for? power maybe but cant you power it from the molex on top instead?

Yes, it can be powered by either one.

Edited by johnnie.black