Additional features to KVM

Just questioning will there be

1) Support for more network card models (Intel E1000, RTL 8139...)

2) More option for CPU model (Core 2 Duo, Opteron_G4, Phenom, Nehalem, Westmere, ARM64...) (It would be helpful to move VM's between servers)

3) More VM templates (Solaris, Oracle Enterprise Linux (It sounds silly, but I work in Oracle Enterprise Linux cause of databases and tools for developing in Java...)

4) If there are any Quadro or Tesla GPU users (I doubt) to have SR-IOV feature for splitting GPU to vGPUs

Point 1, 2 and 4 sound like generic KVM requests and not unRAID specific so have you tried asking in the KVM forums?  UnRAID just incorporates whatever the KVM developers add in terms of base capabilities.    It is worth noting that it is definitely worth having a copy of the KVM/QEMU documentation to hand as there are often options you can use that work fine even if they are not exposed as selection options in the unRAID GUI.

As to more templates while it is a good idea each additional template adds to the testing effort for a release so a trade-off has to be made as to whether there should be a generic template or whether users should be left to simply make their own.   Perhaps an official way of extending the list of icons so they can be used with users own templates might be a good compromise.

Edited by itimpi
1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Point 1, 2 and 4vsound like generic KVM requests and not unRAID specific so have you tried asking in the KVM forums?

As to more templates while it is a good idea each additional template adds to the testing effort for a release so a trade-off has to be made as to whether there should be a generic template or whether users should be left to simply make their own.   Perhaps an official way of extending the list of icons so they can be used with users own templates might be a good compromise.

1, 2 and 4 are already in KVM in almost every Linux distro and allowing to create generic template would be even better idea and allow it to write it to reuse later.

5 minutes ago, Mister_Cro_Noob said:

1, 2 and 4 are already in KVM in almost every Linux distro and allowing to create generic template would be even better idea and allow it to write it to reuse later.

The KVM engine in unRAID is the generic KVM engine so if the feature is available on other platforms then it will also be available on unRAID.     You just might have to manually edit the XML templates to use them.   I often do this myself.    If what you are asking for is support via the unRAID GUI for these features then that is different but not how I interpreted your request.

The one feature I have wanted for some time is for switching to editing a template via the GUI not to lose any changes made when working in XML editing mode.   At the moment once you have started making changes in XML mode you can not sensibly switch back to GUI mode.   The unRAID GUI is always likely to only offer a subset of the features available in XML mode so this would help with taking advantage of the full KVM features.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The KVM engine in unRAID is the generic KVM engine so if the feature is available on other platforms then it will also be available on unRAID.     You just might have to manually edit the XML templates to use them.   I often do this myself.    If what you are asking for is support via the unRAID GUI for these features then that is different but not how I interpreted your request.

Yes, you took words out of my mouth, I realised it exists but isn't in GUI options. I wasn't sure if feature is implemented but it would be great to have it with GUI. I find editing XML file pretty annoying. 

Edited by Mister_Cro_Noob