Making changes to unRAID Linux config on boot

digitalformula

Hi all,

In follow up to a post the other day, I made a bunch of changes to the sshd configuration that I lost when the system rebooted.  That's OK - I know why.

I ended up making the changes I need via the /boot/config/go script and thought they may be useful for anyone else that wants to secure sshd like I have.

- no password auth allowed

- public key auth enabled

- root user .ssh directory created

- root user authorized_keys file created

- correct permissions on the root user's authorized_keys file

If there's a better/approved way to make startup changes like this, I'm definitely interested in knowing.  :) 

#!/bin/bash
#Setup sshd configuration
mkdir -p /root/.ssh
touch /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
echo "<your_public_key_here>" | tee -a /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod 700 /root/.ssh
chmod 600 /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
sed -i -- 's/#.*PubkeyAuthentication yes/PubkeyAuthentication yes/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sed -i -- 's/#.*PasswordAuthentication.*/PasswordAuthentication no/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd restart
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

You're making it really hard on yourself. :D

sed -i -- 's/#.*PubkeyAuthentication yes/PubkeyAuthentication yes/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sed -i -- 's/#.*PasswordAuthentication.*/PasswordAuthentication no/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config

No need for these lines, you can either install the @docgyver ssh plugin (not using it so so not sure about the authorized keys installation)

or alternatively - just modify config/ssh/sshd_config on the flash drive

5 hours ago, ken-ji said:

You're making it really hard on yourself. :D

No need for these lines, you can either install the @docgyver ssh plugin (not using it so so not sure about the authorized keys installation)

or alternatively - just modify config/ssh/sshd_config on the flash drive

I actually looked for a default version of sshd_config but couldn't find one.  It's why I ended up doing it this way.

Should there be an sshd_config in /boot/config/ssh?  Mine only has host keys.

Edit: In any case, it's a good learning experience (I'm very familiar with Linux, but very new to unRAID).

Edit: The plugin referenced above essentially does what the script changes above do (but with more options, obviously).

I kinda forgot, but you copy /etc/ssh/sshd_config to /boot/config/ssh and edit that copy. when ssh is re/started the files from /boot/config/ssh are copied to /etc/ssh and permissions are reset. the aforementioned plugin does allow a few other common options to be set and gives you a UI to restart the SSH daemon.

Archived