Boot issue with HBA card

Hi everyone

I just finished building a server and I have an issue with my HBA card. I am using Windows for now but will be installing Unraid soon.

I am using an LSI 9201-16i with an Asrock Fatal1ty X399 mobo and 1950x CPU. When I boot the computer the HBA card boot screen shows up first and then stays stuck on "Initializing". I can't use "Ctrl-C" to check which mode it is on.

I tried to flash it through a DOS prompt and couldnt get it to work. I then booted in UEFI and tried again and the EFI SAS utility tells me it cant find the card.

I tried two different cards and got the same result. The second I even made sure to buy from someone who had flashed it to IT mode and had been using it in a Freenas server.

And when I do mange to boot into Windows the card is seen in the device manager.

So I dont think its something to do with the card but probable with my config (bios options maybe?)

If anyone has ideas or suggestions that would be great.

Thanks!

Flash the LSI Card to "IT MODE" if it hasn't already been. Hardware RAID and using it in that state isn't advisable. The Flashing Process is pretty simple and you can choose to install a "BIOS OPT ROM" if you want. I chose not too. so it acts as a Plug'n'play Card.

Works great with unRAID.

I'm not making any progress. I tried the DOS boot and I get a "Failed to initialize PAL" error (apparently this is common on motherboards that have a UEFI mode). In UEFI mode it says the SAS adapter is not found. And in regular boot it just stays stuck on "initializing" like before.

The weirdest thing is that I tried two different LSI cards, one of which is guaranteed to be already flashed in IT mode and I get the same result. 

Wonder if there's something wrong with my motherboard o my Bios config.

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

Pls ref. below long long post. The problem should be your motherboard not compatible with LSI card. May be try mask the PCIe finger pin ...... or whatever

No need to focus on flash IT/IR, it is booting issue.

Anyway have you try turn-off "Legacy storage boot" ??

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Crossflashing_Controllers#Important_Warning.21

If you receive a "Failed to initialize PAL" error while trying to flash the controller card, it is most likely due to your motherboard having limited option ROM. You will need to find another motherboard to use to flash the controller card. If your motherboard supports UEFI it will also work if you boot into UEFI shell and perform the necessary steps. See Boot drives

20 hours ago, txenakis said:

just live with the boot issues and call it a day?

You mean controller actually work with unRAID with harddisk connected ?

As mention before, you may try disable the controller's firmware or mask 2 contact pin.  or try another slot. ( ref. to the long post )

If get another card, then it shouldn't be LSI. If get another mainboard, pls ask in forum to confirm which X399 board no same issue.

Good luck !!

I have 3 LSI card, they work normal in 4 different mainboard. ( All is Asus )

May be ref. below post could get any help ( not same issue as you ).

Edited by Benson

hey everyone,

I finally managed to solve the issue and thought I would share so others who have this problem can benefit. I tried every solution outlined here and nothing worked so i searched for others who had the same problem and I found a thread by someone who changed from an Asrock board to an Asus one and got it working.

So I did the same (got an ROG Zenith Extreme on sale which was same price as the Asrock Fatal1ty) and the LSI HBA was immediately recognized and is now working as it should. 

So, for those who have issues with an LSI HBA in an Asrock board, seems like the only solution is to switch motherboards.

Thanks again for all the suggestions you guys gave me.

Cheers!