Having trouble with network bridging.

brandon3055

Sorry to bother you guys with this but google have failed me with this one. I am attempting to get network bridging working in unraid but no matter what i do it just does not want to work.

The issue is simply enabling network bridging on eth0 prevents unraid from accessing the internet. The odd thing is it is still connected to the local network and i can still access its web ui it just has no internet access.

After trying everything i could think of i gave up and decided to just install a separate nic for bridging. The issue i ran into with that is as soon as i assigned that nic its own static ip (different from eth0) unraid lost all network access and i had to resort to booting in gui mode to disable the second nic and restore access.

I am attempting to get bridging working so i can assign a VM a static IP in the local network. Does anyone have any ideas?

So it just occurred to me that maby this is a problem with my boards built in NIC because no one else seems to be having this problem. If this is the case the solution should be as simple as disabling the built in nic and using the ad-in card as the primary nic. The only issue is i dont see a way to do this from the web UI. Is this something that can be done via the command line? 

5 minutes ago, brandon3055 said:

So it just occurred to me that maby this is a problem with my boards built in NIC because no one else seems to be having this problem. If this is the case the solution should be as simple as disabling the built in nic and using the ad-in card as the primary nic. The only issue is i dont see a way to do this from the web UI. Is this something that can be done via the command line? 

Disabling a built-in NIC is usually a BIOS function.

I didnt think of that. I was thinking more along the lines of telling unraid to use the second nic as its primary but that is a much simpler solution.

Unfortunately that still didn't fix the issue so its probably not the builtin nic. If anyone else has any ideas i am open to suggestions. Here is a screenshot of my network configuration and what happens when i turn on bridging.1301311294_Screenshotfrom2018-08-0817-53-12.thumb.png.01c2cd03e31b1947c5eec328b3b4a33b.png1370176044_Screenshotfrom2018-08-0817-52-42.png.02f47d65a9629543d8c6527996d60dff.png

Nothing stellar is really jumping out at me from your logs.  That said, I do notice you're using a Realtek NIC (may be built onto your motherboard).  Know that Realtek NICs are known to be problematic due to their poor driver support for Linux.  A simple fix might be to purchase an Intel-branded NIC and install that onto your system.  In addition, I have personally had many issues with Gigabyte-based motherboards and GPUs, so in the future, I'd recommend to stray away from that brand as well.

Hoping someone else in the community maybe has seen this problem before and can recommend an alternative solution but for now, but recommended fix would simply be to purchase an alternative NIC for this machine.

Thanks for the help jonp i will have to see if i can find a nic or a board with an intel nic to test that. The nic currently install is an ad-in card as i was curious if using a different nic would solve the issue. But on closer inspection it seems the builtin nic is also Realtek so replacing realtek with another realtek really doesn't tell me much. 

Edit: Will any old intel nic work or should i be looking for something specific? The cheapest intel nic available to me is already twice the nic i have installed https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/xsdqqs/intel-wired-network-card-expi9301ctblk  

A bridge is a type of computer network device that provides interconnection with other bridge networks that use the same protocol. Bridge devices work at the data link layer of the Open System Interconnect (OSI) model, connecting two different networks together and providing communication between them

Archived