Which E3 CPU.

Hello all,

I am at a point that I am trying to figure out which CPU to go with.  I am basically going to use this for file sharing and back-up (pictures/videos).  There is a possibility that I would try Plex at some point as well.  I have narrowed it down to the 3 v6 E3 cpus that have integrated graphics.  The 1225, 1245, and 1275.  

If you want to know other parts of the build plan are:

supermicro mbd-x11sae-o motherboard (already purchased)

16gb ecc memory (will be purchasing 2 8gb sticks with plans to go 32gb down the road)

4 4tb wd red drives

I have not decided on case or psu as of yet.  

Thanks for any help.

Hello all,

I am at a point that I am trying to figure out which CPU to go with.  I am basically going to use this for file sharing and back-up (pictures/videos).  There is a possibility that I would try Plex at some point as well.  I have narrowed it down to the 3 v6 E3 cpus that have integrated graphics.  The 1225, 1245, and 1275.  

If you want to know other parts of the build plan are:

supermicro mbd-x11sae-o motherboard (already purchased)

16gb ecc memory (will be purchasing 2 8gb sticks with plans to go 32gb down the road)

4 4tb wd red drives

I have not decided on case or psu as of yet.  

Thanks for any help.

The 1245 is the sweet spot of price vs. performance.  You will get very little in terms of extra performance from moving up to the 1275 and you will see a noticeable performance boost by moving up from 1225 to the 1245.  I have the E3-1245 V5 in my main server.

Most E3 Xeon users in these forums seem to have a 1245 variant (regardless of CPU generation) with a few opting for the 1275 or the 1225.

• Like 1