Newb Quick Q

zmanfarlee

So I got everything set up and I have begun transferring data.  Sweet!

I get a lot of data via torrents.  Am I understanding correctly that I would need a cache drive if I wanted to use torrents in my unRAID server via dockers etc?

I use Real Debrid alot so does that mean I could send the torrent link to real debrid and then do a direct download from real debrid onto the array without issue?  I am very manual in what I download so I don't mind going through Real Debrid I just worry about downloading to computer and then transferring over.  I am very green here so any insight is appreciated.  

3 minutes ago, zmanfarlee said:

Am I understanding correctly that I would need a cache drive if I wanted to use torrents in my unRAID server via dockers etc?

No, a cache drive isn't required. However, many people would rather not have the parity and array drives that contain the dockers and data continually spinning. A cache drive allows the array to stay spun down much of the time, somewhat reducing power usage and heat output.

46 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

No, a cache drive isn't required. However, many people would rather not have the parity and array drives that contain the dockers and data continually spinning. A cache drive allows the array to stay spun down much of the time, somewhat reducing power usage and heat output.

Ahhh... that makes sense.  Does a cache drive have to be a SSD?  I have an extra 1tb hdd lying around.

Thank you again!

EDIT:  I think I answered the above myself but If I son't want a cache could I essentially direct download to the array from the internet (not a torrent just a file)?  I think so and you could do it with torrents to but it's not recommended.

2 hours ago, zmanfarlee said:

Ahhh... that makes sense.  Does a cache drive have to be a SSD?  I have an extra 1tb hdd lying around.

No a HDD can also be used as cache. Slower to handle a high load of reads and/or writes. But instead cheaper cost per storage capacity. And if using a 2.5" HDD, the power consumption will be less than what 3.5" HDD draws.

Archived